How do I quickly change a drawing border?

Creator
Creator

I want to quickly change the darwing border of an existing drawing.

I know I can copy the details of the drawing into a new template or go to the 'Background' and change the border from there but I would like a way of changing the border by simply selecting a new template file.

Our drawing files are under PLM so we don't want users creating new files just to change the border.

6 REPLIES

What feature of the border are you wishing to change ? we...

Creator
Creator

What feature of the border are you wishing to change ? we have our drawing border set up so certain text fields are exposed from variables within the drawing, these are easily changed through file properties menu,

Re: What feature of the border are you wishing to change ? we...

Creator
Creator
In its simplest form it will be updating Copyright year or bringing drawing standard up to date. However, sometimes we move parts between our UK and US offices and both offices use completely different drawing borders that are maintained independently.

The solution could be to merge all these borders into one drawing template but that will create a lot of work and an overly large template file.

In your template, you can have as many backgrounds as you...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In your template, you can have as many backgrounds as you want. Give each a descriptive name and select and re-select as much as you want.

Terry Tyson
Software Automation Designer

Creator
Creator

For the UK to US switch I think it would prob be quicker to add another background sheet as an alternative option then switch between the two in the sheet set up.
for the text changes you could add the date or other information into a new properies fields such as "Copyright" and use the %{Copyright} format in a text box to expose the variable, there may even be one for date that I am not aware of already, this would work for most text only changes i think

Creator
Creator
Thanks for the response Andy.

Although that looks like a good long term solution it unfortunately doesn't help me with existing drawings, which is where we currently have the problem.

When I first started using Solid Edge in v17 I know it was something we asked for as our previous CAD package (OneSpace) was capable of changing drawing backgrounds on the fly. I was hoping this was something that may have been added since as I keep seeing this problem across multiple companies.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
This thread on the Siemens PLM discussion groups has a link to a macro that will batch update the background sheet on a set of drawings... https://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50400&highlight=backg...

You must have a WEBKEY account to get to it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1