How do I screw in a nut and bolt in solid edge ?

Creator
Creator
7 REPLIES

Re: How do I screw in a nut and bolt in solid edge ?

Genius
Genius

You are going to have to give us a bit more information than you provided in your question.

Are you trying to simply assemble a nut and bolt in an assembly, or are you literally wanting to animate the assembly of two threaded components?

Bob Henry

Manager of Engineering - Highwall Miners
Caterpillar Global Mining LLC
Houston, PA

Creator
Creator

Hey apologies for the short question.

I have a bolt and a nut. In SolidWorks they have a 'mechanical mate' for screwing in these two parts. So, I wanted to know whether in solid edge there is something similar. I can align them normally as in a assembly to lookas if the threads are mating, but is this enough if I have to do say some strength analysis?

In short, I am simply trying to mate a nut and bolt in an assembly.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Use the Insert relationship and pick the circular edge where the cylinder meets the flat under the head and then the corresponding circular edge of the hole where it goes.  Do something similar for the nut.

As far as Stress Analysis goes, SE Simulation can calculate bolted connections using properties at the connection points without the hardware even being modeled.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Creator
Creator

Thank you.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Grundey wrote:

Use the Insert relationship and pick the circular edge where the cylinder meets the flat under the head and then the corresponding circular edge of the hole where it goes.  Do something similar for the nut.

As far as Stress Analysis goes, SE Simulation can calculate bolted connections using properties at the connection points without the hardware even being modeled.

Actually, you need to use FlashFit for the circular edge case, not Insert. Insert only locates planes and axes, FlashFit locates the circular edges.

Greg

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Actually, you need to use FlashFit for the circular edge case, not Insert. Insert only locates planes and axes, FlashFit locates the circular edges.

Isn't this one of those pet peeves, ie that there is no reason why Insert shouldn't locate circles?

Frank

Edinburgh University

Creator
Creator

Thank you. I have used flash fit for this purpose.