How do you store, share and backup your cad files?

Builder
Builder

I am exploring options on where to save, store and backup my cad files. There are so many options; gdrive, copy, mega, grabcad, onedrive, seafile, owncloud, btsync, sharething, etc. What do you do?

6 REPLIES

Re: How do you store, share and backup your cad files?

Phenom
Phenom

Well if you're a small shop like mine we do it very simply.

For my Workstation I have a 2nd SSD that is constantly being mirrored on my workstation using a product called GoodSyncV9. I also use Norton Ghost 15 to make weekly FULL Backups, and daily Incremental Backups. I also make weekly backups to a FireSafe Drive that protects my CAD Data from Fire and/or water damage.

For my other seat I have the Norton Ghost 15 running the same as me, and the weekly FireSafe copy.

The SSD mirror came out of upgrading my drive and just leaving the old one there as a copy.  I figured it was easy enough to do. Norton Ghost 15 is not being upgraded anymore, and therefore when we all get forced to move to Windows 10, I'll be looking for a new Software package. Unfortunately Microsoft's idea of a backup is horrible. Yes it works like an image, but Norton allows me to recover single files when needed.... Microsoft Backup is just too much of a PIA.

Bob

Builder
Builder

I agree MS backup is horrible. I was thinking of setting up a seafile server and having it sync all my files with it. I hope it supports versioning so I can go back and retrieve any file edited on any date.

Phenom
Phenom

You should try out GoodSync from Siber Systems

http://www.goodsync.com/

I just might use this to replace Norton Ghost. They also have a Enterprise" addition.

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

Bob,

Look into StorageCraft when it's time to replace your current backup solution. We moved from a different Symantec product than Norton, and this is far better and easier to use. We even used it to virtualize all our servers last year with 100% success.

HTH,

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I have Active@ Imaging on my computer at home and like it.  Our IT guys recommended it.  I'll  have to check with them on what we use on our server.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm a one man shop. So for speed, I decided to keep all model files local. I back up to an external USB drive.