Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use Synchronous Technology? Need community feedback to create some new content.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi everyone!

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

The purpose of this discussion is to get ideas on how Synchronous Technology can be used in the most creative/productive ways.

This is somewhat related to Direct Modeling modifications (which is what Synchronous Technology is ideally based on).

Request all Solid Edge users (working in Synchronous mode) to share your methods & how you use Synchronous Technology, & by which you feel it really brings productivity to the table.

Hoping to get tons of responses & cool ideas.

*You can describe what you do, or even better, share some media (Pictures/Videos). You can also share a part file to support your description.*

Thanks in advance.

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
8 REPLIES

Betreff: How do you use Synchronous Technology? Need community feedback to create some new content.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @Paras_R

so for me there are some reasons and rules where and when I'm using Sync or when stay Ordered:

• of course, as soon as there are imported models in place teher is one clear statement for using sync
    This is a clear area for sny.
  • for typical machinery parts, which are based on simple (plane or turned) geometry,
    this again is a point to use sync
  • if there are features in us which are based on profiles/sketches as for example sweep, loft, helix, etc. then this is a clear situation to change over to ordered.
  • if there are surfaces, blue surfs, etc, then they are ordered

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: How do you use Synchronous Technology? Need community feedback to create some new content.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I am a dinosaur. I use SE since version 8, so about 17 years now.

I know my way in ordered and the first version of synch was far from OK, so I left it fast.

Every new release I tried again to use synch, but can't find the correct use of it. I think there are different reasons. I am too used to ordered, we use a lot 'family of parts', we use a lot 'insert part copy'. This doesn't work good in synch.

So, how am I using synch? About one hour at the release of each new SE version to take a look and then never again. Man Frustrated

Every release our VAR has a client event. There they always ask who uses synch. Each year: "none". 

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2019 user

Re: How do you use Synchronous Technology? Need community feedback to create some new content.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Paras_R,

I am using Synchronous since [ST5;ST9] and if you start using it you will have probabelly difficulties to not using it.

It's easier to use then ordered, that's why I feel better when modeling with synchronous. And don't miss or see any technical borders or limits to swich back to Ordered... That's why I didn't need to make an academic comparaison to be able to see what some tools are no more available in Synchronous and/or in Ordred.

I can work with ordered but I prefer with synchronous.

You have to take in consideration that it's still possible to work in a hybrid way in modeling and switching in the same part between Ordered and Synchronous, what I am avoiding. I am now 100% Synchronousing ...

Regards,
Yasser

Legend
Legend

Hi Paras Raina

You should download the e-book that is written by Matt Lombard

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ru/campaigns/single_topic.cfm?Component=247520&ComponentTempl...

This will help you to understand the basics, from that watch a few youtube cilps about synchronous, the steering wheel and live rules.

Synchronous will help you to boost your productivity enormous once you master it, and you will enjoy this wunderfull set of tools that can be used to create your models, or manipulate models in an assy.

I'm the former chairman of the SE usergroup for the benelux and we did a small contest (like the one done @ the Solid Edge university) and the contest was won by 2 young guys that mastered synchronous.

So its very, very benificial to spend some time to learn yourself Synchronous....  its FUN....

If you need more info or some good links drop me an mail and I will send it to you.

@ Joris its a pitty that you are not able to master Synchronous, this would light up your day..

Kind regards,

Jan Bos

Gears Phenom

I work mostly in ordered, but imported parts are well suited to Synchronous.   I have a large libray of hardware typically imported from McMaster Carr in STEP files.  In the past, if I wanted a longer or shorter screw, I used the modify faces command.  With synchronous, it's just a push or pull to make a new length.

Reorienting imported parts or sometimes even exsiting parts is easy to do with Synchronous.

In my other posts, you've seen that I've been working on recreating all of our legacy files (hundreds to thousands) in Solid Edge (from Cadkey).  This takes a while. A few years ago, I was working on fast paced project and only had some STEP files I had imported from Cadkey so they were dumb solids and a lot were sheet metal.  Also, I found that the imported files did not have consistent wall thicknesses (a couple of thousandths differences on some flanges).  With the help of several other members, I learned a few tricks such as copying the outer faces to a surface, deleting the original solid, then thickening the surface back into a usable sheet metal part.  From there it was pretty efficient to use Synchronous to modify cutouts etc. on the fly.  That saved a lot of time.

Kyle  

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
Highlighted

Gears Phenom

@Jan_Bos wrote:

@ Joris its a pitty that you are not able to master Synchronous, this would light up your day..

In attachment a very simple example of something we do a lot. As far as I can see this is not possible in Synch.

But again, I was used to work for more than 10 years when synch came up, a habit isn't changed fast, especially not when there is no need to. 

...........................................................................................................

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @Joris

so Yes and No!

No - the basic part definitively is a Sync part, where I never ever would change to Ordered.

And 

Yes - the derived part only could be an Ordered one, due to associativety

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom

This parts are very simple.

It happens a lot that after the "first design fase" the parts get interpart variable links. I think that isn't either possible in synch.

The answer "hybrid" I don't understand. I want to do a synch edit to a mostly ordered part. Not possible...