How import and modify a step model (.stp)?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have to print a mask for a project but I don't want to start from zero. So I downloaded a step model of a mask from internet and now I need to modify it (the file is attached). Until now, I have used SE only to create simple parts but now I don't know how manage a existent model.
Can anyone give me any suggestions or some good tutorial link?

13 REPLIES

Re: How import and modify a step model (.stp)?

Phenom
Phenom

You can open this file in SE.

If it is an assembly you need to choose a .asm after selecting your step. If it is a single part you click on your part template.

After that you can edit this part/assembly. Mostly this kind of editing works better in synchronous.

I opened your file, it's a part made of a solid and some planes.

Succes (I think you will need it...)

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Phenom
Phenom

I opened your STP model using a Part template and it looks like a surface model for sunglasses comprising mostly of freeform surfaces and some construction geometry.

What kind of changes do you intend to make to this object ? If you tell the specific changes with images, etc. experts on the forum can help you with those.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I concur with @Joris except that only the lens is a solid body, the magenta items are surfaces. Pretty complex surfaces. And also some curves. So good luck modifying it. You'll need it.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ok, I opened the file like a Part. I deleted the glass and the curves so I have only the the "structure". Now I need to remove the band so I deleted the Feature 1 but in this way I obtain two open surfaces (where the band was connected to the rest of the structure). My first problems are:
- How I can close the hole if I delete a surface?
- Can I have the possibility to extrude some surfaces, create holes through the structure, etc... (I think this is difficult since there are only surfaces and no solids)?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hit there @A_V,

Depends what you want to do with the part, in terms of design changes, as to how you approach this, and is certainly not an entry level deal.

I deleted all but the Mask piece itself, then used the "Bounded Surface" command to closed the open ends, at which point I could run the "Stitched" command to then get a solid model. [ST9 file attached]

Is this as far as you needed to get? 

2017-04-05.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi @SeanCresswell and thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is what I need (I think Smiley Happy ). Can you tell me your steps? Because if I try by myself with the "Bounded Surface" it's ok but when I try the "Stitched" command, ST9 return the message:

"The Stitched command has not been able to create a single body sewn on the basis of tolerance and inserted geometry. By selecting Yes, you issue one or more features Stitched. Selecting No returns you to the previous state"

To respond to you at "Depends what you want to do with the part": I need to add some parts to the mask like little supports for little electronic components. So I'd need, in the next steps, to extrude or cut some parts of the mask.

Is this the right approach? All suggestions are accepted.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @A_V,

All doable. I had visions of more organic shaped elements were going to be added. OK, hopefully the picture series tells it's own story, of the whole process I did to get there......

Delete all but the mask body...

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Bounded surfaces applied to both open areas....

Capture3.PNG

Stitch the surfaces together...I included the Heal option also....

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

If the select set is fully closed, Solid Edge will notify of a resulting solid.....

Capture6.PNG

Solid Edge also recommended to run the Optimize tool.....

Capture7.PNG

The final result....a solid model, that can have regular edits done to it.

Capture8.PNG

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I should have said he'll need luck - or - @SeanCresswell.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

@SeanCresswell Ok, I get it. But when I launch the "Stitched" command, Solid Edge doesn't notifies a resulting solid and the result is the file attached. Where I'm wrong? Notice that I work in synchronous mode.