How stop new windows opening when dxf file is opened

I have a problem when opening dxf files a new solid edge window opens everytime. E.g.. 3 dxf files open, 3 separate solid edge windows. How do I change this to stop it from happening?

13 REPLIES

Hi there,   Are you getting a new window, or a new instan...

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Are you getting a new window, or a new instance per file?....what is it you want it to do??
As far as I know, it has always opened a new window per file. I had a quick glance through the import options and the registry, but couldn't spot anything that would control it to do anything differently.

This is how it reacts for me.... http://screencast.com/t/ZS5AT6Hr 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Solution Center article 002-7002869 addresses this, cut a...

[ Edited ]

Solution Center article 002-7002869 addresses this, cut and pasted below for your reference:

• Symptom
• ---------------
By default .DXF files are not associated to the Solid Edge ST3 application in
Windows 7. Using "Set your default programs" in Win 7 to associate .DXF files
with Edge.exe will result in launching multiple instances of Solid Edge ST3
instead of opening the .DXF files into a single, already running instance of
Solid Edge ST3.
• Hardware/Software Configuration
• Solid Edge ST3
Windows 7
• Solution
• To force Windows 7 to open .DXF files from Windows Explorer into a single
instance of Solid Edge ST3, add the following registry keys:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.dxf]
@="SolidEdge.DraftDocument"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf\OpenWithList]
"a"="Edge.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf\OpenWithProgids]
"SolidEdge.DraftDocument"=hex(0):

I cannot upload a registry file to this site to allow you to quickly double-click to make the above changes but you can download a copy from this GitHub site

07/11/14 - edited to update URL linke

Re: Solution Center article 002-7002869 addresses this, cut a...

[ Edited ]

lines and instructions are missing from this solution:

1- what type of registry value do we have to create (string, binary, DWORD,...)?

2- value vs name not clearly indicated

3- what should I create in the 2nd branch mentioned for dxf and dwg (if anything)?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xxx]

Here is what I tried:

[ Edited ]

Simply follow the provided link in the solution to the githib site and *save* the provided registry fie from the link. Then double-click the downloaded registry file to implement the solution, Using the provided registry file will provide you with all the answers to your questions,

I get the following error when clicking on your link.

ERROR 404

There isn't a GitHub Page here.

Sorry, looks like GitHub changed some addresses.  Link has now been updated in the original post.

The link now works.  Thanks

Excuse me for being a novice when it comes to creating a new entry into the registry, but how do I get the info into the registry?  I tried saving the info out as a .reg file and importing it, but that gave me an error.  The info on the link makes it sound like this is already a program or a script.

I saved the info below as open_dxf_in_solid_edge.reg

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf\OpenWithList]
"a"="Edge.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dxf\OpenWithProgids]

Mike,

You didn't copy and paste the *entire* registry file from the provided link ;-)

Try this and note the very first line, which is what is missing from your version:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"a"="Edge.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

Would it be possible to do this for DWG extensions as well?  Would the .reg file just need to be edited to swap out the DXF for DWG?

Mike