Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Miter ends in Frame?

Builder
Builder

Ok, so after 5 years in SE, I am finally getting around to using Frame. We use alot of steel tube framing in our builds but of multiple sizes which Frame didn't seem like it was going to be beneficial to me. But now I'm trying to make it work. 

I've been trying for a couple of days now to figure out how to get the end of the center 1x1's in this herringbone frame to miter to the outer frame 1x2's. I have created the outer frame first and then place the 1x1's inside it.

I think I understand the basic concept from the tutorials, but I'm missing something.Framing.png

As always, thanks for the help!

3 REPLIES

Re: How to Miter ends in Frame?

Genius
Genius

If you centre the the outer frame on the sketch line the inner sections will mitre just fine.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@michele  If your path for the center tube would extend into the side tubes, they would mitre automatically.  Because the tube falls short, they do not.

You can either extend the path or you can edit the end conditions for each tube to extend and trim them to the side tubes.  To do that, select a tube and select the Edit End Conditions.  You will see 2 handle points highlight green but you only want the one on the side tube area so deselect the other,  Accept your selection and a new command bar appears as shown below.  Select the Extend/Trim option and then select the face (not the whole tube) of the tube you want to extend it to.  Do this for all tubes you want to extend.

2018-03-12_15-46-59.png

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Builder
Builder

Thank you, I was trying to use two different sketches. Found that I could modify each piece from your instructions but it wasn't fixing the problem by modifing the sketch. So I started over with a single sketch and "Wah lah!". All better.