Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Pattern for Hexagonal Shapes

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am working on modeling a lid for a jar that needs ridges on the sides (almost resembling a gear, if you will). I have sketched the hexagonal shape on the edge, and need this to have 90 "teeth". How do you make a pattern for a shape such as this? I only see circular and rectangular patterns. Any help is appreaciated. 

7 REPLIES

Re: How to Pattern for Hexagonal Shapes

Phenom
Phenom

@OliviaK

Just create the feature (cut, tooth, protrusion, whatever) and pattern this feature in sync or ordered. Check the video for more help. Make sure you get the center right, hover on one of the cylindrical edges until it locks to the center.

Re: How to Pattern for Hexagonal Shapes

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi @OliviaK

Might be what you are looking for.

Solution.PNG

Use the 'Along Curve' pattern command, & then in the options, set 'Follow Curve' option.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Paras Raina, Technical Head, MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
NX 12.0.2
Solid Edge 2019

Betreff: How to Pattern for Hexagonal Shapes

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @OliviaK

I would create a closed hexagon for cutout and then use  a Pattern along curve to get it along Your contour.

If this contour curve is circualr then YOu also can use a circle pattern

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

So I made my cutout and when I went to click pattern, every option was grayed out. I wasn't sure if this was because my shape I want to pattern is half of a hexagon? Any help? File attached. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @OliviaK

so I think this is not any big problem anyway.

Before going to the pattern issue, let me say, that YOu do not need to use a normal cutout here, this still is a simple cutout feature with a depth of 0.656 (as I have measured it from Your original)

Then select this cutout and create a circular pattern, that's it!

See video and attached part

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you! I have figured it out. I'm still learning the software, I have to get used to every little detail!

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi there @OliviaK

I actually mistook the problem you were facing & thought you were trying to pattern along a hexagonal curve.

In any case, as @hawcad has pointed out, you need to select the feature before going for pattern command. In case you don't select the feature, the command won't activate (greyed out as you said).

Good Luck!

Paras Raina, Technical Head, MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)
NX 12.0.2
Solid Edge 2019