How to add a logo, or text onto a curved face

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm working on a project for a CAD class in college, and I chose to model a Keurig.  On the top there is an arm, and on the front of that there is a curved surface text that says KEURIG.  I have tried making a new style with the texture being the .jpg of the logo, and part painting it onto the face, but the background of the logo is white.  If the logo idea is too challenging, how can I just add the logo using text? I know how to add text to a sketch, but I don't know how to "wrap" the sketch over a surface, so I can paint it a different color.  Thanks ahead of time for any help! I'm running ST4-university edition, and I'll see if I can upload the assembly, and part I want to add the logo to. 

Thanks,

Brian Mixon

3 REPLIES

First let's try it with the image like you were doing. Wh...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

First let's try it with the image like you were doing. When you are on the Textures tab in Face Styles notice the "Background Color" section of the page. Toggle it from Opaque to Transparent and then pick the white area as the transparent color. This should remove the background from the logo (assuming it is a pure white background). 

If this doesnt' work we can try the wrapped text method.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: First let's try it with the image like you were doing. Wh...

Pioneer
Pioneer
Ok that somewhat worked. The background became transparent, but the text is now huge (all I see is the letter U. The face I painted with the logo is now transparent behind the letters. How can I make it so the aluminum texture is behind the letters? Thanks for your help so far!

Re: First let's try it with the image like you were doing. Wh...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
OK. A few different things to do.

1. Size. When the styles dialog comes up, move it to one side, so it is not covering your part. Then, in Face Style modification, Set the setting to SURFACE, rather than WORLD, since you are putting it on a single surface. Then, twiddle the scale spin boxes and hit APPLY to see how you are doing. With some fiddling you can get it the right size.

2. You can only have one texture on a surface at a time. So when you make the text the texture you are going to lose your aluminum. You can either:
a) put the aluminum in the bitmap with the text (and then don't use transparent
b) (most folks do this) make two surfaces with a slight offset. The one below is aluminum and the one above holds the text.
Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development