How to assemble surfaces (IGES file) into an existing assmebly?

I have an assembly including different parts. I want to assemble a Sub Assembly consisting of surface (actually it was an IGES file, I then open it in solid part and save it).

If I am going to assemble it, any of the surface could not be selected.

Is there any way to do so..??

or I have to make all parts of that "surface sub assembly"??

9 REPLIES

Re: How to assemble surfaces (IGES file) into an existing assmebly?

Are the surfaces visible after inserting into the assembly ?

If not right-click the part in the Assembly PathFinder and select Show/Hide Component... and then check ON Surfaces from the dialog.

Another reason if the surfaces are visible and you are not able to pick them for assembling would be inactive parts. Activate the part again from the PathFinder as shown below:

[ Edited ]

I have already done with these steps i.e part is visible and activated.

But when I bring it to another assembly to apply constraint, it could not be selected althoygh it (surface) is visible.

I found no problems with selecting imported IGES surfaces from a part inserted into a sub-assembly used in another assembly.

Can you attach an IGES file ?

Also mention your SE version amd MP number,

I have checked with some other surface (IGES) file and they can be selected for assembly.

But for attached file, when ever I call it to some other assembly, it can not be selected to apply constraints.

I am Using SE V20

Hi @AM2

I am using ST8 and able to both import the iges and use its faces to add assembly relationships.

May be someone with V20 can look into this issue.

~Tushar

Might be that is the real issue.

Is ST8 is advance version..??

ST8 is 8 releases ahead of V20, but not being able to select a face on an imported IGES cannot be attributed to this.

If V20 can import and display the IGES, the problem lies somewhere else.

So as I mentioned in the previous reply, only someone using V20 can check what's wrong with the face selection for creating relationship in your attached IGES.

Might be there would be any problem with that file. As I remember I have done some working with IGES file that can be assembled. So the issue may lie in the file or sime teanslation problem.

I have done with this by just modeling some of its parts to show it in assembly.

That is a nice idea AM2