Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to convert a part to simple surfaces?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I had a very large assembly and I have simplied the assembly using:

Tools > Simplyfy > Visible faces ....

Even after saving the simplied assembly as a single part the size is very large.

As this very large assembly(or very large part file) will be used in another very very large assembly, my system is unable to handle the file and is not responding.

I have two options:

1) convert this part to simple surfaces and make it very light.

2) create a solid enclosing the part file and use it in my very very large assembly.

I want to go with the first option. 

Please tell me how to do it. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES

Betreff: How to convert a part to simple surfaces?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @pspt

with ST10 You have the option to "Copy Into Part" that assembly, delete all internal holes, volumes and create one single body of that filled volume.

You also can do this on basis of visible configuration etc. to reduce smaller parts before and therefore You will recieve a smaller single part.

If the size of that file even is to large, then You can try saving it as JT file and use this one, but now You will loose associativity.

At the moment I do not know better or easier methods to achieve what You are asking for.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Have you tried simplifying the assembly using the 'Enclosure' method rather than surfaces ?

You can build blocks around either the whole thing or smaller areas to give a bit better representation of it.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @beachcomber

Hi @pspt

the modification via Enclosure is something what I would do afterwards, when the assembly is copied into the part, all internal holes are erased and only one body is there.

Now You aditionally can reduce the complexity of that part using the enclosure.

And - of course - Enclosure Simplification is a good tool in assembly mode only too!

regards
Wolfgang