How to create the rib in Solid Edge ST9, ordered mode?

I am facing problem to create the rib. It is not recognizing the structure drawn. Please find the drawing attached.

12 REPLIES

Re: How to create the rib in Solid Edge ST9, ordered mode?

It's not clear what problem you are having. This video on creating a rib might help.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Problem I am facing.Problem I am facing.Thank you for your valuable reply. But it doesnot solved the problem.I am enclosing detailed snap. Kindly go through it. Thank you.

[ Edited ]

Not quite clear from the image how the sketch for the rib was drawn.

Record a video from within Solid Edge or attach the part file in your reply,

and see this video meanwhile. Hope it helps:

If you are trying to make the line for the rib touch the circular edge of the cylinder, it won't work geometrically. Think of the shape of the top thickness face of the rib, and what that would look like intersecting the cylinder - it makes an eliptical edge where the sides extend out. So if you want the rib to end at the end face of the cylinder, you're going to have to put a vertical line right there.

Solid Edge is trying to extend the faces of the rib until they fully intersect other model faces, and in this case, the rib would extend into infinity without fully intersecting other faces. In 2d, the way you drew the sketch, it looks like it intersects, but in 3d - the way the faces would extend, it doesn't intersect. Drawing the vertical line at the end of the cylinder allows it to fully intersect something right where you want it.

This is not a Solid Edge problem, just a geometrical issue that comes up in other CAD programs.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

@MLombard, I don't fully understand the logic but I can verify that what you say is true. What I don't get is why it can generate the rib near, but not at, the cylinder's outer face. Seems like it would be the same solution since it's intersecting an arc in both cases.

Bruce Shand

[ Edited ]

If you absolutely have to have the rib going right to the edges then you need to create some extra solid geometry first.  For example, extend the cylinder a finite amount - say the thickness of the rib.  That will allow the rib to be created because it will fully intersect the cylinder geometry.  Afterwards, simply cut the extended geometry away again.

If you don't want to go through all that palava, just move the rib away from the edge.

P.S.  The method above actually gives the same result as the vertical line alluded to earlier.  However, adding the vertical line may result in some unexpected results if you decide to move the rib away from the edge later on.

If you make the rib go short of the end of the cylinder, you get this:2017-01-18 09_15_13-Solid Edge ST9 - Synchronous Part - [Part1].pngIf you push the rib to intersect the cylinder past the edge, those extended areas go off of the end of the cylinder first. This is why drawing a single line right to the edge of the cylinder won't work. You'd get something like this, except the extension would be infinite, which is obviously impossible, so it fails. I forced it to do the wrong thing here. 2017-01-18 09_08_48-Solid Edge ST9 - Synchronous Part - [Part1].pngBy adding the short vertical line, you tell the rib where to end, and the rib runs into the cylinder.2017-01-18 09_11_30-Solid Edge ST9 - Synchronous Part - [Part1].pngIf what you want is really more like the image below...2017-01-18 09_29_50-Solid Edge ST9 - Synchronous Part - [Part1].pngThat's a trick shot. The top thickness face of the rib is a lofted cut. It goes from an arc at the end of the cylinder to a straight line at the top of the block. It was set up with these sketches:2017-01-18 09_32_25-Solid Edge ST9 - Synchronous Part - [Part1].png

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

@MLombard, nice explanation, and thanks. I was imagining what is actually a concave shape as convex where the rib meets the cylinder. So, I was bass ackward.

Bruce Shand

(view in My Videos)