How to deal or break links of child part in assembly for modification of that child part.

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

When there are two assemblies say A & B, and a1,a2 & a3  and a1,b2&b3 are sub-assemblies of assembly A and B respectively.Sub-assembly a1 is assembled with both A and B assemblies differently. When we edit sub-assembly a1 in B then it will also modified in A.The problem is how to break link of a1 with assembly A .I want sub-assembly a1 not modified in assembly A . 

5 REPLIES

Re: How to deal or break links of child part in assembly for modification of that child part.

Phenom
Phenom

a1 is an assembly in it's own right so there is no way to have different 'a1's in different assemblies as you're always refrencing the same a1 file.

That being said depending on what a1 is, you might be able to use alternate assemblies to have different versions of a1, otherwise a Save-As copy is the way to go.

Re: How to deal or break links of child part in assembly for modification of that child part.

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Let us take a1'. The a1' is not an assembly, its a part of subassembly  a1 and a1 is subassembly in A . A & B are major assemblies . Now , I want to assemble a1' in B . When I try to assemble a1' part in B then it needs some modification because its a part of subassembly a1 in assembly A and B is different from A . So for its proper fitment in B it must be modified at some points .Now , I want to modified a1'part without changing it in subassembly a1 of A.The problem is , when i modified a1' in B (after assembling a1' in B)
then it also modified in subassembly a1 in assembly A. So , how can I break link of a1' part from subassembly a1 of assembly A.  

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You are doing yourself no favours in your example by reusing the same naming for both parts and sub-assemblies.

Based on your description I come up with the following simplified example:

1.png

However, the same strucutre will be easier to follow when viewed in Revision Manager:

2.png

You want to know how to modify the C3 part in the sub-assembly A1 in top assembly B without changing the C3 part in sub-assembly A1 in top assembly A.

It cannot be done. Each of these components in the structure represent a physical file on disk. If you change one of the components, the file on disk is changed, thereby changing all components that are using the same physical file.

If you change C3 under A -> A1, C3 is actually C3.par on disk. C3 under B -> A1 is also the same C3.par file on disk. Therefore a change to C3 under A -> A1 will also be reflected in C3 under B -> A1.

In order to accomplish what you desire, you will need to have multiple physical different files on disk. However, you cannot simply create a copy of C3 under B -> A1 because then the structure/file used for A -> A1 is also impacted. Therefore you will need to make a copy of both the A1 and C3 files under your B assembly to achieve your requirements.

I would personally use Revision Manager to accomplish this as the new copies and the linking of all be cleanly updated at one time:

3.png

When the above operation is completed, then your assemblies are updated to look like so, and you can then modify C3_mod under B -> A1_mod without impacting C3 under A -> A1:

4.png

5.png

I would suggest that you take some time to compile some simplified test assemblies in your environment and spend time reviewing and exploring Revision Manager and how files interact in the assembly structure.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Could it be possible that you are talking about Adjustable assemblies?

With Adjustable parts and/or assemblies you could have two "different" Assemblies/Parts with the same components like Enclosures with different door positions...

Yasser

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

a. select your a1 sub-asm in your B asm. use 'replace with copy' and name it a1_new.asm

b. edit a1_new.asm. select your a1 part and use 'replace with copy' and name it a1_new.par

c. edit a1_new.par, modify, close and return twice and save

This way your A assembly won't be modified as it still uses the a1 files. You can also prepare this (modify the file structure) using the revision manager.