Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine the threaded cylinder of a hole

Genius
Genius

Hi all

I try to have a thread in a hole perpendicular through a cylindrical tube.I generated the hole by having a cutting protrusion from the center of the tube.

I get an error message claiming that the hole edge is not a circle.

How can I avoid this?

best regards

Hans

se20.jpg

8 REPLIES

Re: How to determine the threaded cylinder of a hole

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Are you using Thread Feature (Male Threads)  or Hole Command (Female Threads)

This should be created using the HOLE COMMAND

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

You can also create the female thread using the THREAD command, as you have already cut the hole using the CUT command.

How did you create the profile for the hole? That's the only thing that might be wrong based on the error message.

Normally, you get an error saying that there is no entry in the thread database for the given value, or it does not even allow you to select the start circle, if it is not a circle and NOT perpendicular to the cylinder.

Either recreate the CUT, or delete it an create the threaded hole using the HOLE command.

Phenom
Phenom

Are either of the ends cut at an angle?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@MartinBernhard  I get the same error the OP gets. It is not a circle after all as the surface is curved so the thread command is stumped. I think creating as a hole from the get-go is the way to go as @Johnson_BigMatt suggests.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

Hi,

to clarify the evolution of my geometry:

The object, where I want to cut the hole with a thread into is a tube, which is aligned along the Y-axis. The center point of one end of the tube is the origin at X=0, Y=0 ,and Z=0.

To generate the cut out, I first created a circle in the the X-Y-plane, centered at Z=0. The I moved this circle along the Y-axis by 30mm. I chose protrusion with the negative sign and cut out the mantle of the tube. Then I chose "Thread" from the hole-pull-down-menu and activated the cut-out. The consequence was the displayed error message.

best regards

Hans

Genius
Genius

Hi

Trying the other way using the hole-option from the Solids-menu, I struggle with a different problem: I cannot find my standard M16 thread in the hole options.

The "Threads" pull-down menu within the hole-options-menu does not provide any entries and is greyed out passive. The "saved settings" contain a few threads, but only five ("1/2 counterbore 1/2 countersink 1/4 tapered 1/4 threaded 1/8 simple") and not the one I need.

Do I need to create its definition before somewhere or what do I have to do?

best regards

Hans

se21.jpg

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Hans11

look at this picture :

M16 threaded hole.png

regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;

Genius
Genius

Hi Arek,

Ah ! 

Only after I first choose the right picture (with the meaning threaded) in the upper left of the hole options menu, then the list of available Sub types changes and  sub type "Standard Thread" becomes available in the menu!

Thank You, I wasn't aware of the dependences within the menu.

best regards

Hans