How to differentiate Surfaces and Solid Body in part environment

Hi,

I want to ask...any icon specify in the history which part is a solid body and which part is a surface?

Let say client open other CAD model in Solid Edge. How they want to know whether the part is solid body or a surface?

4 REPLIES

Re: How to differentiate Surfaces and Solid Body in part environment

Hi:

This will typically depend upon the type of data imported viz. IGES, STEP, etc. and further the Options selected during import.

For a STEP file opened in Solid Edge, the PathFinder shows different icons for the 'stiched' solids and for surfaces:

2016_Aug_2016_01.png

For IGES, I noticed they are all Part Copies and look the same, though this might change when different import options are picked.

~Tushar

It should usually be pretty clear from looking at the model whether something is a body or surfaces. Also, don't forget there are two types of body - design body and construction body. Sometimes people also call construction bodies 'surfaces' though that's inaccurate.

In pathfinder, typically surfaces will have an icon that looks like a sheet, whilst bodies will have an icon that is a solid L shape.  Also, if you have multiple bodies (construction or design) they will be listed below the material in pathfinder. In ST9 I think that it's listed here even if there's only one body.

You beat me to it @Tushar!

It seems we were answering in real time! nothing beats our enthusiasm !!