Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to disable the model tree in 3D PDF

Phenom
Phenom
I totally agree with your answer on how to strip internals of the file. But I am reading the question a bit differently.

I am sharing data with another company. I used 3D PDF because it was available. Issue of internal structure comes from exporting to 3D PDF.

The root cause of the problem may be the user is not familiar with the other tools for sharing SE data. Using a different tool and educating the user on JT solves the problem as well. I think we can agree on.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@RyanM wrote:

Alright, now how about the obvious question here. Why not just share a Parasolid file or a JT file?

Jt would be easy and the view is free as well.JT is aslo the ISO standard for visualization!

What viewer? The free viewer offered by Siemens with SE is awful.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Without losing sight of the OP's expectation to hide the assembly component details and considering JT as an alternative format, this option in the JT export misled me completely:

JTS.png

I agree I should read the help documentation to understand what 'Single JT' does but prima facie it gives the impression that a single block of a model would be created, especially when read read in context of the other options which are 'JT assembly and part documents', all under the header - 'JT Document Structure'.

With this option selected, I still need to use a Part template in Solid Edge to open the JT file since using a Assembly template reveals the assembly structure.

So even when using the JT format, suggestions by @shanefarra (STP) and @hawcad (melt in ST10) need to be used.

How does JT help in solving the problem of hiding the assembly structure when exported ?

Hi @Tushar

I think I must disagree to Your answer, but I will confirm it afterwards immediateley.

Saving an ASM into one sigle JT file only saves everyting into one single file rather to split it into an ASM JT and several part JTs to the folder.

I will see it more or less as a zipped JT from multiple files.

But importing that back will keep the structure I think.

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @Tushar

and here is the fact:

Opend the seaacfa.asm from training

20171014_1150.PNG

using this settings:

20171014_1148.PNG

Importing back this file into a single part will again show the structure of the original assembly:

Even if there was set the option to boolean the bodies:

20171014_1149.PNG

After importing You can melt/union  those bodies together.

But nevertheless You can see that there were different features und bodies, originally built the design.

regards
Wolfgang

forgott to show the setting for union:

20171014_1154.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad wrote:

I will see it more or less as a zipped JT from multiple files.

But importing that back will keep the structure I think.

Hi @hawcad

That's correct, I have tried that option already, hence my comment.

Exporting as a single JT does not mean the structure will be removed. It is just a single JT - that's it.

~Tushar

@hawcad wrote:

Importing back this file into a single part will again show the structure of the original assembly:

Even if there was set the option to boolean the bodies:

After importing You can melt/union  those bodies together.

But nevertheless You can see that there were different features und bodies, originally built the design.

Hi @hawcad

Thanks for the detailed info.

I am also trying to say the same thing Smiley Happy

JT does not take care or hiding the assembly structure no matter what options are set in the process of either import or export. After importing the JT Boolean operations still need to be performed using one of the methods you have suggested.

Hence I want to know the advantage of JT over 3D PDF for sharing assembly models without exposing the assembly structure which was the intention of the OP when asking the question.

Regards,

Tushar

Hi @Tushar

I think there are 2 big differences between PDF and JT.

First is regarding the reader to view them.

Acrobat Reader is installed on most computers so that there is no further need for any software downlaod or installation.

What I would like to have - at this point - is, to have more PDF readers being able to show 3D PDF too.

Due to the fact, taht I'm not that fan of Acrobat - I personally prefer the Foxit Reader, but to show 3D PDF it is necessary to install the Acrobat too.

Ok, let's see the secon differnce (IMHO) and this is, that You can import a JT file more or less without bit lost of inforamtion quality, even the file format is a very lightweight one.

Many people do not think about sending CAD data as JT or 3D PDF that they give out mainly the complete geometric information.

And with JT You can export PMI dimensions and You can reimport them back into - in our case - Solid Edge.

And with this additional information together with the body and - using synchronous technology - it is possible to work with such imported geometry nearly in the same wayy as it was made Yourself.

This is, what I tell people always to have in mind, that with JT You give out Your model information nearly with 90%.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Hi all,

Thanks for discussing about this question here, I'v learned a lot.

@hawcad thanks for the detail explaination. it's true that sharing JT is not very convenient for client, cause JT program is not popular as Abode reader, that our client can view easily. And it's possible to reimport JT model back and work with it. that's not what I want.

Even in 3D PDF that having the model tree to show every part name is not my purpose, so you mentioned that ST10 can melt all different parts into one part and then exporting will be a good solution.

I've also tired to export the model into differnt format (stp, jt, parasolide) and reimport it with a part file, but when the origoal model is too big, to open it with part file takes a lot of time...

regards Hunter