Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find correct planes or axes, if scan part is not in center ?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello everybody,

I have a scan file, that is just half of original and in bad condition. I need to do correct body with mirror another half. First, that this part does not have the correct position in working field regarding the placard and the axis.

Second, does not have the correct surface. I need to restore and later to do mirror.

I attached STL file and photos for better understanding. If somebody have expierence and can help me, I will be very gratful. 

4 REPLIES

Re: How to find correct planes or axes, if scan part is not in center ?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Tomy

First of all, and most importantly, make sure you are on ST10. ST9 and earlier can do nothing with faceted data like you get from scans, but ST10 introduced a lot of tools and kernel work to allow you to work with these types of models.

I haven't got ST10 on a production machine to do a video, but to tidy it up I would;

1. Import the STL into a syncronous part (make sure sync is your default in SE settings before importing).
  2. Select the whole facet body and use the steering wheel to orientate to wherever you want in space.
  3. Assuming you've orienated into the centre, use the center plane to do a cut to give you a perfect flat centre line
  4. Mirror the facet body about the centre plane to give the whole chair.

Hopefully that makes sense to you. As far as I know, ST10 and synchronous are essential to what you want to do, so you must be using them. Other than that look at the ST10 help and marketing videos about the new tools to get an idea of how to use them.

Legend
Legend

Alex is correct, but it's not necessary to use sync template. you can use normal and simply "move to sync" if you've already opened and began to edit it.

-Craig

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank You,

I know this metods, but this model is like stone, rock, without correct plane. How to cut and create new planes, that later I cam move with wheel and rotate Smiley Happy

Phenom
Phenom
True, fair point.