How to flatten a curved tube/pipe with notch to create a template

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi from Italy! Smiley Happy

In sheet metal i can make a straight pipe using arc and contour flange, create the notch with a normal cut and flatten to create the template for the notch.

Cattura2.JPG

Cattura.JPG

Now i need to create the template for the notch on a curved pipe but i don't know what to do in sheet metal. I can make the curved pipe in part but i can't convert to sheet metal.

Cattura3.JPG

Thank you!

6 REPLIES

Re: How to flatten a curved tube/pipe with notch to create a template

Phenom
Phenom

You can use the new "Blank" command in ST7

blank.png

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

I assume you want this to be able to make paper templates for fabrication?.....quite simply, you'll not have much luck doing this, as the Sheet Metal paradigm is based upon straight brake folding.

What you are looking to do is a deformation, that happens to have another stall point, "double curvature"....so while software wise, you could use the "Blank" command, in reality, this may be of no help at all, as the template will not automatically form back into the shape you're looking to end up with.

I would take it from the opposite direction,...making your regular straight [barrel type] template that fits up to this curved piece.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

I don't use the surface modeling, but because the sheet metal and frame stuff are going to fall short. I would peruse the free form surface modeling approach. I remember seeing a plug when ST7 came out, we can flatten anything! You appear to have  model, it's a matter of using the free form flattening. You may need to do it in two halves and put the two parts back together. Approach it like it's a mold.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Fiorini wrote:

You can use the new "Blank" command in ST7

Wow! This new command is very cool! Thank you

Experimenter
Experimenter

SeanCresswell wrote:

Hi there,

I assume you want this to be able to make paper templates for fabrication?.....quite simply, you'll not have much luck doing this, as the Sheet Metal paradigm is based upon straight brake folding.

What you are looking to do is a deformation, that happens to have another stall point, "double curvature"....so while software wise, you could use the "Blank" command, in reality, this may be of no help at all, as the template will not automatically form back into the shape you're looking to end up with.

I would take it from the opposite direction,...making your regular straight [barrel type] template that fits up to this curved piece.

Yes i need the paper templates and yes you're right, so i'll go the way you suggest. Thank you very much!

Legend
Legend

The easy to make this is to order a preformed bend and then cut the "fish mouth" in a milling machine.

Using SE since V12, 2002