Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a curve from a moving part and extract the coodinates

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hey, I´m new to solide edge.

Does anyone know if is it possible to extract the curve points of a ball which moves on a 3d curve with solide edge?

I´m trying to optimize Track-to-track ball returns for ball screws. The idea is to create a "path-part" and a "thread-part" and let the ball move along a defined 2d curve over the the shaft’s outer diameter.

This 3d-ball-movement is easy to realize with solide edge but I´m not able to find a fast way to extract the midpoints of the moving ball.

"Motion" even shows the curves but I´m not able to see a funktion or the points.

7 REPLIES

Betreff: How to get a curve from a moving part and extract the coodinates

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MichaelVoelz

I apologize for my bad understanding the question but can You upload a picture or movie for better recognizing the wanted request

regards
Wolfgang

Re: How to get a curve from a moving part and extract the coodinates

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

not aware of any method in SE Native.  but I do know that DDM can do such.

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
SE2019 Pre-Production Testing
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Pioneer
Pioneer

I uploaded 3 pictures. The "track-to-track return.jpg" shows a general ball screw with track-to-track return systems. I uploaded another one with the defined 2d-curve and one picture with a "path-dummy" and a "thread-dummy" to get the 3d-movement of the ball in SE.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MichaelVoelz

OK, now I've got it.

Can a path relation in the ASM help You and do what You want?

Center of sphere should be connected to the 3D curve (helical curve can help here)

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi @hawcad

2 path relations (sphere-thread and sphere-2Dpath) helped me to get required 3D path of the sphere.

What i need now are the x-y-z coordinates of the midpoint of the moving sphere.

Hi @Johnson_BigMatt

do you know which DDM version is able to do so? I tried simply motion but could not find a way. Is the academic version worth a try?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

i have used the "full version" of DDM and you can plot paths as you are seeking.   I would assume Academic could do so as well but i do not know the licensing structure well or what /who qualifies for that use...

their support is very good.   i suggest asking them directly... you can find a link on their website.

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
SE2019 Pre-Production Testing
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7
Highlighted

Pioneer
Pioneer

I recently downloaded the DDM evaluation version. Its a free "full version" for testing a limited amount of time. There you can plot the paths like MattJohnson told. Thank you for this tip.

But there is a small problem I got now. I got the 3D path of the sphere with two combined path relations in asm which are not avaiable in "Motion".

I basically need to combine two relations:

1. The surface of the sphere always has to touch the "thread-dummy"

2. The centre point of the sphere has to move along the curved path of the "path-dummy"

For better understanding i am uploading a picture. The part on the top is the "path-dummy" and on the bottom you can see the "thread-dummy".

I would really appreciate it if anyone has an idea how to realize these two path relations.