Solved! Go to solution

How to globally snap to a 1.0mm grid

Hi,

I have just used Solid Edge for the first time, and I have entered a simple drawing to have some holes drilled in an enclosure.
I found it very difficult to get the dimensions right - I would like every length to be a whole number of mm.
The drawing now has dimensions resolved down to microns or nanometres, so I have changed the resolution of the units to "1" to display correctly on a bitmap image.
Now the machine shop has asked for a CAD file....

Is there any way to change the dimensions of the drawing globally to 1.00000mm so that an exported DXF file shows integer mm lengths?
Am I doing something totally wrong here? Perhaps there is a global setup page the specifies the snap grid or resolution?

Your help would be much appreciated smile

Howerd

5 REPLIES

Re: How to globally snap to a 1.0mm grid

There is a grid you can turn on, but turning it on after the fact will not "fix" your drawing.  See Help and/or Command Finder for Grid info.  Alternatively, use driving dimensions and relationships to create your geometry accurately.  This is the typical workflow to control geometry precision.  You will need to turn on Maintain Relationships and it may be helpful to also Show them so you know what's applied.  Driving dimensions (make sure the lock option is "locked") will allow you to type in dimension values at the precision you want and will force the geometry to match.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Hi Ken,

So I can't fix what I did wrong with one click :-(

But how do I change just one dimension from 50.01 to 50.00?

It shows green, so is a driven dimension. I can group the lines connected to it, drag one line of the group and maybe get the dimension to 50.00 by fiddling, and the whole group moves.

But how do I set 50.00 mm into the dimension?

i.e. Can you change a dimension from driven to driving after it is created?

Thanks & best regards,

Howerd

Go to Sketching Tab, Relate section and turn on Maintain Relationships and Relationship handles as Ken suggested.

Then, with nothing selected click the Smart Select (lightning bolt icon), select a dimension, and click OK. This will select all of your dimensions. Go to the dimension ribbon bar and click on the lock which will make all of your dimensions driving.

Now you should be able to click on the dimension and drive it to whatever you want. Provided of course your lines don't explode since they probably have no relationships on them.

Once you get this to work, do yourself a favor and do the tutorials included with Solid Edge or tell your manager to send you to training.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Hi Bob Henry,

I have read the tutorials that came with the program, plus some others online.

I have turned on Maintain Relationships and Relationship Handles.

>Then, with nothing selected click the Smart Select (lightning bolt icon), select a dimension

When I click on  | Home Tab | Dimension | Smart Dimension |  I can only add a new dimension, and at that time I can edit its value. I cannot "select" a dimension in the sense of highlighting one that already exists.

So I am falling at the first hurdle.

Is it possible to do this with the free version of Solid Edge?

Is it possible to edit a dimension's value after it is created, without it becoming "not to scale" and showing up underlined?

Is there something here that I am missing???

Best regards,

Howerd

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Howerd
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

I think you are selecting the wrong command. You do not want smart dimension. Get your select tool first. Once it is selected, you should see another tool bar below the main tabs and the re is an icon with a lightning bolt and a select arrow on it.

Select it and then a dimension. Answer OK to the dialog box and all of your dimensions should select. Then click on a the lock icon.

I would be happy to look at it for you if it is not proprietary. Send it to rehenryjr@hotmail.com. I may be able to record a short video and send it back to you.

Bob
Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC