Solved! Go to solution

How-to guidance please

[ Edited ]

I have what I thought was a simple 2D challenge. I want to be able to drag a set of entities keeping the circle centers on the guide curve. In the video the "guide curve" on the left consists of 2 lines and an arc. The similar "guide curve" on the right is an actual curve. It works as desired but I would like a guide curve which I can control radii and lengths like I can on the left. The example on the left does not work as desired because the curve is not continuous.

Is it possible to have a more controllable continuous curve?

(view in My Videos)

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
14 REPLIES

Re: How-to guidance please

Don't know if there is a better way or not but what about creating an intersection line between two surfaces?

Intersection.JPG

@JGUN,  Thanks. That might be an approach but my ultimate aim in this case was to assist a 2D only user.

Bruce Shand

Could a "derived" sketch be a help?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

Ah helps if I read the details Lol

@JGUN  Not a problem. I appreciate the input. As you and @Joris hinted, 3D might be required for this puzzle.

Bruce Shand
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bshand
‎03-30-2017 11:48 AM

Hi @bshand and Edgers

this is easy to solve using 2D only with one little trick:

Fore the connection relation You need to select all curves using a fence selection rather then a single mouse click of one line only.

See video for better explanantion.

I have a 2D drawing only with the guid curves (2 lines and an arc) and the moving block, which - to make it easier - is made of one line and 2 circles put together into one block

Those block elements are alos tided together as a rigig set

What I have seen here was, that it was hard to select the proper curves for the secon connection relation.

Therefore I put the moving block onto a separate layer which I hide before fence selecting the lines and the arc.

regards
Wolfgang

Hi

as complement to the previous article I would like to explain that this functionality  works extremly good for e.g. one circle on a curved route.

You either can use the connection relation or a tangent relation too.

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Wow! I never thought you could multi-select for relations that way. Awesome.

Edit: Interesting that if you click on the "point on" relation it gives no indication about what it's related to. Unlike when there are only two entities involved. Also, if you delete the "point on" relation at one circle it also deletes the one at the other circle.

Bruce Shand

Hi @bshand

Yes that is it, and it is so since - I think  it was - v16 - v18

regards
Wolfgang