How to install Solid Edge (ST9) complete with post install settings/configurations to other PC's.

Experimenter
Experimenter

We battle with this everytime there is a new version of Solid Edge.  The uninstall/reinstall + all the post install settings and configurations takes a lot of time.  We have a approximately 30 seats of Solid Edge so you can see why I ask.

Is there any way for me to install Solid Edge ST9 for example on my machine.

Set up all the custom post install settings and configurations.

Then distribute to others for hassle free installation?

We don’t have Insite or Teamcenter.  PC’s are all on a common network server.

We all access the same network license server as well.

Thanks.

Sanfobr
Solid Edge ST7
19 REPLIES

Re: How to install Solid Edge (ST9) complete with post install settings/configurations to other PC's

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Each company has it's own standard and set of custom files.

I would locate all the files you want custom and place them in a common location for each machine.

Finding all the custom files is the hard part. Plus many may have custom setups each machine. Working out a "Standard" set of custom files is where the time would go.

To me, the starting point are files that have a specific pointer to it's locations

The next most important thing are files that live within the install like holes, annotation, etc...

And of course, the template files for draft, part, sheet, and assembly.

Re: How to install Solid Edge (ST9) complete with post install settings/configurations to other PC's

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure what all custom items you want to convert but SEAdmin.exe might help with setting file locations by generating an options.xml file from your "master" pc, then point everyone else's to that options.xml on the server.

The help doesn't live up to its name but here it is.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/108/help/#uid:seadmin2h

Glad to answer more questions if I'm able. If I'm not, many others here likely are.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Prior to ST9 you only solution was as @bshand mentioned, the seadmin.exe function, which had limited configuration options.

However, there is new functionality introduced with ST9 to help you share your Solid Edge configuration from one workstation to another workstation...

So to answer your question, yes, with ST9 its is possible to install ST9 on your machine , set all your settings, then share those settings with other machines.

See the following help topic to get you started, and start following the links within the help for more detail:

http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:index_newse:xid459410:xid1206485

Genius
Genius

Hello,

In a past version I had to prepare *.bat file where i put inside a kays to edit registry and configuration setting on a computer where its on. Witch file like I said You can repleace correct license, datapreputilitiestemplate, holes, hernes files, changing templates, material file, changing all settings in options e.t.c.

SE ST9 + TC 10.1.7

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Yes, that new tool is great.  Two things to keep in mind - one is that you can only use it on the same version of Solid Edge - ST9 to ST9 not ST8 to ST9 and users are not restricted from changing the settings as they can be in the seadmin.exe with the options file.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@mrye Madison, have you found a good way to deploy a network opions.xml file on install of Solid Edge when not installing under the user's account (Admin account installs)?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hey, Ken, not really.  The information is in the current user hive in the registry.  You could try the new tool in ST9, but you would not have the control of locking the users out of changing the settings after.  The best way to install I have found is to to use a deployment script that elevates the user to admin on the local machine and then deploy the install and point to the options file.  Then, remove admin rights.  I will have our guys enter an enhancement for deployment as the admin. 

Phenom
Phenom

uk_dave wrote:

Prior to ST9 you only solution was as @bshand mentioned, the seadmin.exe function, which had limited configuration options.

However, there is new functionality introduced with ST9 to help you share your Solid Edge configuration from one workstation to another workstation...

So to answer your question, yes, with ST9 its is possible to install ST9 on your machine , set all your settings, then share those settings with other machines.

See the following help topic to get you started, and start following the links within the help for more detail:

http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help/#uid:index_newse:xid459410:xid1206485

Dave,

As much as your post is appreciated, you must admit that Siemens effort to make this easy and seamless for the end user, is horribly lacking. I've never understood why so many companies that sell software ignore the main fact.... most of their customers are NOT in love with computers for the sake of computers. I use a computer and software NOT because it's my job, but it's simply just another tool to earning a living.

Think about it this way. If everytime you needed new tires for you car, you needed to spend an hour telling the engine what you're doing, then go and make sure the brakes are first off... or is it on. Then don't forget the radio... the f'n radio needs to be set to 1460 AM and NOT FM, or the tires will go backwards.... that's what this is like.

Can't you people take $2 of every dollar that I spend on Maintenance along with all the other folks, and have somebody sit down for a few hours the make this process seamless. Yes I know there are folks there that it'll tell you " all you need to do is go here, do this, and on and on, so what's the problem".

Just look at the web page you sent us to.... ALL of it ONLY pertains to ST9 leaving 95% of those migrating from ST8 confused as hell... or someone like me moving to a new machine... what do we do?  Oh right come here and complain then wait until somebody has wasted hours figuring out the code... then send thousands of us off to repeat the millions steps to get going with ST9.... is that really what you think good marketing?

But the biggest insult to all this, is  that every release, it's the same drill.

Can somebody there develop a UNIVERSAL tool that can be used on ALL releases to accumulate the proper settings, including TEMPLATES, etc. and bundle them together? Then the same tool could be used to update any release. Keep it that simple PLEASE!

Bob

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

They make a pretty good canoe. Good luck finding the oars though.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200