Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to join a leg to a helical spring

Creator
Creator

Hi Community 

Can you somebody tell me how I can join the two surfaces in the  enclosed 'Capture 2' image. The method should include end conditions for a seemless part joint.

Many thanks

MisterHon

***UPDATE to original post - 18052018***

The grey model is something I have created in a single .par file. The model in orange is what I am looking to achieve.

8 REPLIES

Re: How to join a leg to a helical spring

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Can you share the models?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

Could you share your model? 

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Creator
Creator

Unfortunatley I cannot share the model. The illustrations show a single .par component. I've tried loft, sweep, but I haven't found a way to condition the end point to tangential (matching the helix surface).

Would this be easier using two models?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I can't say for certain if it would be easier using two models, but it might be. I'm more familiar with the assembly side of things, so I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to do it in a single part model. Since you can't share your model, I tried just placing two instances of a single helix. To do this, I created a coordinate system at the face you want to join. In my case, I picked the center point of the edge on the face of the end of the helix. I then placed two instances of the helix in an assembly with no relationships. Next, I used the Match Coordinate Systems command in assembly and picked the coordinate system I created on the face at the end of the helix for each instance. Since I was using the same part, I then had to use the Assembly Relationship Manager and flip two of the planar relationships that were created so that the parts were not overlapping. I had to use the Assembly Relationship Manager for the flip because it will allow you to flip more than one relationship at the same time, while you can only flip one relationship at a time in the relationship portion of the Assembly Pathfinder. Flipping one relationship at a time in this scenario will cause relationship conflicts and will not succeed.

That was a lot of words, but here is a picture of the end result:

helix.png

Greg

Gears Phenom

Hi,

I think a little bit differently for this challenge. I think you should use an exact and good path to make this spring.

Here is a video about my steps:

BR,

Imics

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Imics, what happened to the video?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator
Hi Imics,

Could you upload the link to the video you referred to in your post.

Thanks

Gears Phenom

@bshand@MisterHon I fixed it! Smiley Wink

Imics