Solved! Go to solution

How to make a part become sheets in sheet metal?

Hey.

I want to make a garbage can out of sheet metal and I've already thin-walled it and cut out the holes.  Now I want to convert to sheet metal so I can make flanges so the sheets can be fastened together.  I've tried transforming thin part to sheet metal, but I apparently have to cut the corners and also it tells me that I don't have uniform thickness even though I do.

What is a recommended procedure for this situation?

Thanks,
Jeff

9 REPLIES

Re: How to make a part become sheets in sheet metal?

It looks like you may be going at this wrong. From what I'm seeing, I think you need to make an assembly and multiple sheetmetal parts. You may be trying to do too much in one process...

[ Edited ]

Ensure that your cutout on the tapered face was created normal to the face and not from a extrude running parallel to the xyz vectors.

You will get different flat patterns if you use the inside shell vs the outside shell. The cutout will either be to big or too small.

Just something to look at.

Hi,

There are many ways to do this, but in your case you have to rip edges, because part must be manufacturable.

You have to draw 4 lines betweens corners on the top face and after this go to Transform to sm command.

Here is a video to reproduce steps:

Or here is an other way, this is new in ST7:

I hope this helps!

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

I can't wait to try out your solution, but I seem to not even be able to thin wall anymore unless I give it an open face, which I don't want to do.

[ Edited ]

Kuli24 wrote:

I can't wait to try out your solution, but I seem to not even be able to thin wall anymore unless I give it an open face, which I don't want to do.

Hi Jeff,

There is an option to change this condition to one of three [Common Thickness / Open Faces / Unique Thickness] modes, try the "Common" setting.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Mine only shows the middle mode so it forces me to select an open face.

I've attached a screenshot.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kuli24
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

[ Edited ]

Kuli24 wrote:

Mine only shows the middle mode so it forces me to select an open face.

I've attached a screenshot.

Ah, forgot this was a Synchonous part [previous was in Ordered].....so just select the button to the right, then your good to go.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

I've been fiddling with this for 6 hours today and all of a sudden it worked... ugh.  I think your solution is correct.  Thank you!

You're welcome.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10