How to make a star shaped hole?

Builder
Builder

How to quickly and efficiently make a hole as shown in attachment. Make a .640 square, rotate and trim multiple times then cut?

5 REPLIES

Re: How to make a star shaped hole?

Phenom
Phenom

You got it....to make it easier if you have to do it again, open the original part file and copy the starred hole sketch, then paste it in to the newer parts. Saves you the redraw time. This is for us Foundation users that don't have the fancy Feature Library of the Solid Edge Classic midrange license.

-Dylan Gondyke

You can also create a square cutout and then, pattern that cutout.

See attached video ...

(view in My Videos)

Regards,

Michel Corriveau

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you are using synchronous, you can create the square, rotate it (with copy turned on) and bypass the multiple trim.  Synchronous recognizes all the regions.  If you do a window select, the star cut can be made in one shot.

On a side note, are you sure you don't have access to Feature Library using Foundation?  That should be a "basic" tool of Solid Edge regarless of your license level.  I've never heard that it was "turned off" for Foundation.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Phenom
Phenom

It appears you're right Kevin! When I purchased ST3 I'm pretty sure this was only in Classic licenses and up. I'll have to dig out the old comparison sheet from my quote and find out for sure.

-Dylan Gondyke

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Dylan,

I'm pretty confident that Feature Library has always been a standard function.  You might be thinking of Machinery Library (or something similar) which in NOT included with Foundation.

Just a guess.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com