How to make solid edge assembly as single whole body with out any internal space or gap?

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Example we van take a motor assembly which contains some internal components. In between motor's outer case & internal components there is some vaccum. From this input I need out put as a single body which is not supposed to have any internal vaccum space. It should be a single complete solid.

We can take any solid edge training material samples as test case.

4 REPLIES

Re: How to make solid edge assembly as single whole body with out any internal space or gap?

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

You have to do this almost manually in Solid Edge.

1. Open a part template
  2. Use Insert Part Copy command to insert assy
  3. Remove unnecessary details and holes, cutouts...
  4. Place this part in an assy and use Simplified Assy command with visible faces.
  5. SE will collect exterior faces what you need for and save as a part.
  6. Open this part and create a Body from this with a small trick...

Here is a video:

Unfortunately I don't know better way to do this (we have no srink wrap or defeature command).

BR, 

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Re: How to make solid edge assembly as single whole body with out any internal space or gap?

Phenom
Phenom

Why not export the part in a gineric perasolid format and then import the parasolid?

Phenom
Phenom
Hi,

Because my goal was removing inside space and creating a solid body without interior details.

If you export a model in parasolid and import once again then you will get the "original model".

BR,
Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Another method I use is to model over the components in another part file.
Sync ASM modeling in context does a great job of this.

1) Create a new ASM

2) Place the Sub-ASM in it.

3) Create in Place a new part that is grounded

4) Create the new part using Sync modeling operations by selecting faces from other components to extrude etc. (Usually you do not have to draw any sketches at all.)

NOTE: Sync extrude can use all edges, interior edges or exterior edges of a face to make the cut/protrusion. It can als use edges from other parts. Try the options and see.

5)  If needed you can also use sync Boolean commands to union, subtract precise components to the model. Such as connectors etc. (Break the link as needed)

EX: Create a cylinder and then boolean you outer part to it.

I use this method all the time to model parts in ASM. It generally cuts out the entire sketch step and is a real time saver.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Art

PS. The ST7 Sync Box and Cylinder commands work nicely for this as well.