How to measure distance along curve

Hello all!

I need a to measure a distance along a curve in the assembly environment. In example:I have  a chain link on a chain path. If i want to know the distance how long the chain link moves along the chain path you cannot measure this along a the path - only the direct respectively the minimum distance.

See also the attached picture.

Finally i need a measure variable of the distance along the curve... so i it would be good to have this function inside the new 3D measure command.

Is there a workaround for this?

22 REPLIES

Re: How to measure distance along curve

If the chain link curve is created in sections of the length of the chain you can do this.
However I think you have created a complete arc, then it is not possible without a work-around.

Create a new sketch on a same plane, project the curve and the chain shafts to the sketch. Cut the curve according what you want to measure. Now it is possible to measure the curve length.
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Good Idea. But if i split the curve into sections i still cannot measure the curve lenght with the 3d measure command.

The only thing that works is to display the curve length with the inquire element command, or am i wrong?

Not even with PMI?
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Yes, of cause! You are right!

With the PMI Smart Dimension it is possible to get the arc lenght and a variable :-)

Only the sectioning is still a problem - currently it is only possible in the part environment...

It should also work in the Assembly environment.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Inside a assembly sketch you  can include a chain path. And of cause you can trim this curve. But you can not include lines and arcs (the chain path) to ONE curve. This is needed to trim this one curve to one chain section....

or am i wrong again? ;-)

Could you upload the assembly and parts of the chain?
I don't want to draw the entire chain assembly just to test it.
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

here you go...

It is possible. Or I don't understand your question.

See the zip file.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10