How to model this?

I would like to let make something like this:

kip-voortent

I think I best do this in sheet metal, but can't find how to do this correct.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user
12 REPLIES

Re: How to model this?

Doing it in sheet metal will let you get the flat pattern of it which I guess is what you're after.

I'd draw a sketch of the two 'M' shaped outer edges and use the lofted flange command to create the sheet between the two curves.

Just be aware that the top of your canopy is twisted so the resulting sheet will not be simple flats with bends. This makes it difficult to do flanges on the new edges as the software can't handle it.

Thanks for thinking with me.

I tried something like that, but SE doesn't want to create the flange.

...........................................................................................................

Wow that was hard... 

I wasn't able to open your model (ST7 here) but made something similar (attached). The lofted flange wouldn't work for me either.

Steps:

-Draw 2 edge sketches

-Use bluesurfs to create triangles between the lines to make the canopy and sides

-Stitch to make a solid

-Round the edges with R > bend rad of sheet metal (done in 3 steps as SE couldn't handle rounding them all in one go

-Convert body to construction

-Add new sheet metal body

-Thicken the top surface chain outward

-Use Part to Sheet metal command to select bend edges of the thickened part to turn to sheet

It's really not intuitive unfortunately, but hopefully you can replicate the process for you part.

Thanks

It sort-of looks like it. Good enough to have an idea.

I think I use the wrong programm to do this.

If you use ordered sheet metal. Draw some aproximation of the flat pattern, then add bends where needed. you can make it easy. Then you just have to spend time dealing in the dimension in the origional part sketch. After each edit, you check it vs the reults. After going back and fourth 50 times you should have it right.

Is it even possible with those compound curves to do it in sheet metal?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @Joris,

How do you want to use this?.....as in, do you want it for visualisation, or for a pattern?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

It is for me, personally.

I want to let a sail manufacturer make a cotton for me we can use on our caravan.

I can make a quick 2D draft of what I want and he will make what I need, but I wanted to fold this in SE and make a visualisation for it for my wife.

The problem is the cotton will, in real life, stretch. I don't see how to model this, if it is even possible in SE.

Using the contour flange command you can model sheet metal parts in solid edge that are 'twisted' like your canopy (rather than straight folds or rolls) to replicate flexible material - we use it for profiled rubber sheets.  Unfortunately the contour flange command is very tempermental and will just not work for seemingly no reason - I guess the geometry gets too complex for the algorithms under the hood!