How to open nx assembly in ST6 when assembly and parts are in different directories

Experimenter
Experimenter

We are switching from NX6 to ST6. I have an assembly file in one directory and many of the assembly part are in different directories. When I open the NX file in ST6 it opens the assembly and the parts that are located in the same directory as the assembly. Component parts that are part of the assemlby, but located in different directories than the assembly file do not load into the assembly (not shown in the tree).

Any HELP?

4 REPLIES

It depends where you plan to go with your data long term....

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

It depends where you plan to go with your data long term. If its not important for it to "stay put", then I'd move the NX parts all to the same folder as the others. When you open the file it will find all these local versions and automatically open them. 

If that is not what you want it may get more complex. Are you on maintenance? You could of course call GTAC and they wil probably figure it out quickly for you.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: How to open nx assembly in ST6 when assembly and parts are in different directories

Phenom
Phenom
Take a look at the search_opt.def file. You might be able to copy and paste the load_options.def from NX into this file. I haven't tried it myself yet but give it a shot. It may require some more digging into.

As Dan mentioned, what business decision has been made in regards to NX? Are you wanting to maintain associativity between the two files or do you want to bring all the data directly into SE and abandon NX?
Abandon: Export NX to Parasolid and import
Link: Can be done but there are a lot of things to consider! (SE has different file extensions than just prt, multiple solids in one file, etc.

Re: It depends where you plan to go with your data long term....

Phenom
Phenom
Dan-
With NX, like most systems, you can have the same file name in more than one folder. Search options allows the user to tell the system to look only in this folder for the file names. NX does have Unique Id for each file that is also looked at and the capabilities to ignore the UID when loading.
Moving all files to one folder could cause some real headaches and design loss if not properly implemented.

Re: It depends where you plan to go with your data long term....

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Ryan, SE has a file called LinkMgmt.txt in the Preferences folder. It has the following 3 entries:
CONTAINER
RELATIVE
ABSOLUTE

This is how it resolves links in order. I have never tried so not sure it will work, but you might try removing CONTAINER to see if it works like you are attempting.

Out of the box, SE looks in the local folder of the direct opened file for any of it's links ignoring any absolute paths to files of the same name that are in other folders.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1