Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to pass drawing scale information when exporting to dxf

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The options button on the "save as translated" page.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator

Ken,

Thank you for your kind attention. I tried that but noticed no difference in the output of the Solid Edge translation. If a customer begins drawing on the sheet, instead of the model space, and then scales the drawing to fit the sheet size, does this still work? If that is true, and with your permission, could I send you a sample drawing from the customer?

Hi there @FMPeck,

When exporting the Solid Edge draft file to DWG, there is an check box in options, that makes this happen [Export to paper space]....all model views are placed on a 2D Model sheet, at full size [1:1]. [example DWG file attached]

ST8_PSM_Ordered_ContourFlange_DWG-Options_PaperSpace.PNG 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP6] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

Bruce,

Thank you for your kind consideration. I have attached a dxf drawing for your trial. I have tried what you said. I used notepad to open the file to view the dxf codes, and nothing changed. The paper space option may work for the dwg case, but it seems to have no effect on the dxf case. Experimenting some, I drew a sample 1:1 in model space, exported that to file, and that seems to work. I can draw in paper space space, where the title block is, and that has no effect. If I scaled the picture down to fit within the margins, the dxf exports that drawing as if the scaled down version were real world coordinates, and the dxf file reflects smaller data accordingly regardless of the option. Consequently, I'm begining to think, but I'm not sure, that the customer also draws and scales in the paper space, where the title block is, just as if he were drawing on a piece of paper that has the title block on it. In other words, the 1:1 drawing in model space never took place, nor does the drawing get "translated" to the proper 1:1 scale.

I tried the the option using the dwg case, but the viewer said the drawing was "Saved by an application that was not developed or licensed by AutoDesk." Using other software like SolidWorks, etc., usually you will get a "1:1" warning if it detects a scale, then asks you if you want it translated. Most software vendors will do the math internally, and send the dxf out in real world coordinates (1:1) so that other users can benefit direct form the data.

I assumed you were talking about exporting a Draft made of 3D Model views but it sounds like you have hand drawn lines, arcs, etc on the Working sheet that are then scaled up or down to fit that sheet...

If they are drawing lines, arcs, etc... directly on the Working sheet and then scaling the geometry up/down to fit, then you are going to get that geometry in DXF at whatever scale you made it because SE does not know what you did.  Essentially it is an incorrect process.

If drawing lines, arc, etc. in Draft, you should draw 1:1 on the 2D Model sheet and then when done you have 2 options for creating a drawing from it.

1. Place a scaled border as a block on the 2D Model sheet
  2. On the Working Sheet, use the 2D Drawing View command to place a scaled view of the graphics from the 2D Model sheet on the Working Sheet

If option 1 is used, you do not need to do anything as you have drawn 1:1 and the resulting DXF will be 1:1

If option 2 is used, use the option "export to paper space" and it will export out the info on the 2D Model sheet as 1:1 in the DXF but will also create a another tab in the DXF of view ports scaled as they are in SE.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Ah yes, as Ken points out.....if using 2D-Free or your design is only in Solid Edge draft, then what he describes should get you there.

This highlights the importance of stating your version of Solid Edge, when posting questions.

Sean Cresswell

Creator
Creator

Sean,

Thank you for your insight. Going back to what Ken said, about not being sure what Solid Edge should be doing. 1) It should be simple enough to create a table (dimensioned array) in programming speak, to track X,Y,Z,Color,Font,Scale... for every entity, and that is just simple computer programming. I'm unsure why your software doesn't do that now, but I think I now understand that it could be an oversight. 2) In the alternative, the DXF standard has conventions for scaling of every entity listed, as explained (somewhat poorly by me) in the post, using line as an example. For instance codes 10,20,30 as start point x,y,z,; codes 11,21,31 as end point, and the alternate 12,22,32 as a vector where the start point is assumed (0,0,0). (The ratio of the two magnitues would be the scale, for instance.) 3) If for some reason you cannot track the scale, then you should flag the user that dxf export of the paper space it is not permitted, with some instruction to export it to the model space in 1:1 scale. The reality is that since you allow users to draw pictures in paper space, the engineers of companies will do so thinking they are doing nothing wrong. What I don't understand is why you cannot service that effort done in paper space with simple programing to place it into model space. It requires no operator intervention because all of the math or data should be there if the foundation of collecting user information is right. 

DXF was designed to transfer data. The usual expectation was real world coordinates, so that other software and/or machine tools could extract exactly what the draftsman wants. It sounds like failing to track the scale on your software side, for instance, is a fatal oversight in the industrial world considering that the dxf conventions are "carved in stone." Telling a customer they way they do things is a bad practice is not acceptible. They have thousands of drawings in bad "practice mode." Beside, if I did say that, they would be mad at you and not me when they learn what they thought was an accredited DXF translation turns out not to be so. So, am I right? If you do not draw 1:1 (somewhere) then Solid Edge's dxf is worthless to the real world.

Creator
Creator

I should have also said my customer does use the full version. I just can't trust the dxf that comes from it, because; not all of the required information is there. Incidentally, dxf has "sections", one of which is called "ENTITIES". Solid Edge places the entities in the BLOCK section. Why? There may be a good reason. 

"Telling a customer they way they do things is a bad practice is not acceptible. They have thousands of drawings in bad "practice mode." Beside, if I did say that, they would be mad at you and not me when they learn what they thought was an accredited DXF translation turns out not to be so. So, am I right? If you do not draw 1:1 (somewhere) then Solid Edge's dxf is worthless to the real world."

Are you saying that engineers are drawing directly on the sheet as a rule? And expecting the software to know their intent with that "fakeometry"? In Solidworks that wouldn't work either. And I think in Autocad drawing on model views with paperspace entities would be meaningless as well. The way you draw entities 1:1 in SE is in "draw in view" or "2D model space", which are the same thing.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Further to this topic...the other thing to remember about DXF, is that it is unit neutral? Which is the most common issue I see with DXF files.....yet, this fact only connects responsibility for both the originating & the receiving systems settings, for export & import respectively. Over top of the view scale that may be applied.

Sean Cresswell