How to quickly arrange the views in drafting?

Hello!

I have created a quicksheet template. The problem is, that while parts are similar in geometry, they can be very different in dimensions. So, when placing a part with similar dimensions, the quicksheet works well. But when placing larger model on the same template, views will overlap. And there is additional work in rearranging them.

So, is there a command, that can arrange the views with just one click?

Or does anyone has a macro, that is doing this?

The idea is, that the views (boundary of the view) are at least 100mm (or any other value) apart. So that there is no need to rearrange them manually.

I have attahced the part files, quicksheet template and the movie, that shows this problem.

I would appreciate any suggestion about this problem.

Best Regards.

10 REPLIES

Betreff: How to quickly arrange the views in drafting?

Hi,

what I'm using a couple of version now very successfully is to use the view configurations which can be saved and used afterwards.

So, if You define which views You want to have, save them before placing them at the draft sheet.

I have done this for parts, sheet metal parts, assemblies in different arrangments (sheaded,, one view, mulitple views, flat or bend psm, and so on.

And those configs I can choose now very easy.

Together with a automatically retrieving of dimensions a big part of drawing creation is done within the first 

steps

regards
Wolfgang

Hi,

I am not familiar with 'view configurations'. Can you describe little bit more, how you create those configurations?

Currently, I am using only QuickSheet templates for fast drawing creation. Also, the automatic dimensioning can be turned on. So creating several differrent views is very quick with this option. There is only a problem with views overlapping.

And also, what I have to mention is, that a lot of drawings are created for imported files (step, iges).

Thanks.

Regards.

Sven,

You need to make view configurations in assembly.

in the home tab and group configurations you will find everything needed.

Next a very short video about this - but you can find more on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjQiVzHOZo

I hope this will be enough to start with

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge STX user

Hello,

Well, I know about the View Configuration in assembly. It is extremly usefull for creating different represenataions of assembly and use them in drafting (views, parts list, etc.).

But I really don't see, how this can benefit me with my issue.

In the movie, that you have attached, only one view is manipulated with view configuration. Then, the user is still placing manually all the other view (yes, with the same view configuration).

What quicksheet is doing is creating several views by just selecting this quicksheet template. It is much quicker creation of drawings. The only problem I have here is, that when larger model is used, the views are overlapping. And then I have to manually position them to the new locations. That's all.

So this is why I was asking, if there is a command, that will arrange all the views to some predefined distance. Like arraning dimensions with 'Arrange Dimension' command.

Or, if someone has macro that is doing this and can share such a macro with others. And if such macro is not for free, how much would it cost?

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,

Danilo

SvenBom wrote:

And also, what I have to mention is, that a lot of drawings are created for imported files (step, iges).

That will be difficult. Or you have to make different quicksheets configs.

I'm saying this because a lot of people still use the XY plane as the front plane. And then they ask if I hit CTRL+F i get the bottom of my view. Why is this ?...

I believe Pro/E and inventor do have an option to reorient there default cross/datumplanes. In Solid Edge its not available anymore. (it's one of the first weird things I discovered in SE-because it was hided)

Anyway there was a command that could do the trick in previous versions, I believe the last one is v20

It's still there but it does not work anymore "REDEFINE TO CURRENT".

But there is an option to solve it, make a new view config

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge STX user

Hi,

no, the view configurations I meant has nothing to do with the asm or the parts.

This only is a setting for the draft templates/files.

Maybe following video will help:

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Hello Wolfgang,

I really didn't know about this feature. It is great, how easy one can save default views.

The only issue I see here is, that I can predefine only the views from the View Wizard. Is it possible to include additional view in this saved settings?

If you check the files, that I have attached in my first post you can see, that my quicksheet template has two more views, which can not be defined with the wizard. They are two additional principal views. 

Thanks for this.

Danilo

Hi Danilo,

I think this will not be possible using that view configs.

For such situations I only can add them manually, but to be honest, this also isn't that much work, especially if auto retrieve dimensions.

But I agree with the opportunity for improvements or enhancements in that area.

regards
Wolfgang