Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to "replace" a sketch entity in order to not break everything depending on it?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I often run into a situation where I make a sketch and feature, followed by more sketches and features based on the previous sketch and feature. So sketch/feature D depends on C depends on B depends on A. Somewhere down the road, the "A" sketch breaks, for example a Project to Sketch can no longer be computed. So I delete the line and do a new Project to Sketch. When I exit the sketch, the feature that was made from the sketch is broken as it was using the now-deleted lines, so I update it to use the new lines. Now the next feature (perhaps a chamfer based on the previous feature) is also broken because the previous feature changed. And so on it goes down the line, having to redo everything that was based on sketch "A".

How can I avoid this issue? Sometimes sketches and relationship just break for no apparent reason and I can't avoid having to re-draw them. Is there a way to say "this line / circle / whatever is broken, but replace it with this new line / circle / whatever so that everything still works"?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How to "replace" a sketch entity in order to not break everything depending on it?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Probably best not to stack up dependencies so deeply between sketches but if you have a broken include on a sketch entity, line in this case, don't delete the line, just delete the include relation, then realign the line to another line with the collinear relation or some other set of relations that satisfies. Original sketch entities you can "revive" in this way should help prevent downstream relationship breaks.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: How to "replace" a sketch entity in order to not break everything depending on it?

Legend
Legend

@TimeToDesign 

Like @bshand said don't remove the line, but if you want your line to stay connected to an upper model put on "Peers" under the tools tab. Then you can connect the lines to parts or sketch in the upper level.

PS: I recommend to put it off afterwards again.

Sander
The Netherlands

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for the suggestions. That's a good idea to use the same line, though it's not always possible depending on the complexity of the sketch.

@Sander-NLjust curious why you don't recommend working with the peers option? It seems to do the same thing as "projecting to sketch", but without the extra step, right?

@bshandsorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you NOT stack up dependencies so deeply? At least in ordered mode, every sketch is built off of the previous feature or layer, otherwise the sketches are not fully defined. You pretty much have to use a feature/model edge or previous sketch in order to make a new one constrained. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@TimeToDesign wrote:

@bshandsorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you NOT stack up dependencies so deeply? At least in ordered mode, every sketch is built off of the previous feature or layer, otherwise the sketches are not fully defined. You pretty much have to use a feature/model edge or previous sketch in order to make a new one constrained. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say?

I know that's the theory that should work. But when you get embedded, nested relationships among different parts and assemblies it eventually breaks down. Lost track of is what attached to what when in the history of the interrelated parts and assemblies. It's not easy to remember or to figure out how the relationships relate after a few days much less a few weeks or months for one user. Chances are you'll change stuff and find links broken. What about the guy who has to revise your creation?

I'd say use those relationships to establish the initial modeling in a top down approach with the intent to then ultimately break links and relate parts only with conventional mate relations once the design is on reasonably sound footing.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

@TimeToDesign 

I reccommend using it, I like it more then "Project to sketch" but keeping it on can be annoying when showing background it wants to link to everything and makes solid edge slow when there is a lot in the background.

I have it in the quick access toolbar to swap between it.

Sander
The Netherlands