Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recreate this feature?

Pioneer
Pioneer

See attachement. It's a pocket in the shape of an ellipse (in top view) but the pocket cut is done around a radius that matches the outer face. This is rather trivial if anything rectangular, but with the elipse it has me stumped. The only thing I can think of is creating the positive mold of this feature and subtracting it, but there must be an easier way.

I'm just doing some weekly modeling excercises, (good to keep you on yourself sharp). This was originally modeled in fusion (part of Titan CNC content) for disclosure.

Thanks

8 REPLIES

Re: How to recreate this feature?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @CADCAM16,

I would just create an offset surface, to represent the depth, then sketch the eliptical cut out, project it using the From/To extent type, to end on the offset surface....job done.

RecessedElipseCut.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Pioneer
Pioneer
Excellent, thanks for your quick and easy response. That was far easier than I thought, the more you know! I didn't know to and from extents worked in scenarios like this. Thanks.

@CADCAM16, very welcome.....glad to help.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Betreff: How to recreate this feature?

Hi @CADCAM16

a "Normal Cutout" with ellipse contour should also work IMHO within one feature

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for your help with a previous request. How about another one, same concept different geometry. See attached. Trying to create a pocket highlighted in blue in a cylinder and conical shape in the part solid, about 3mm deep. Solid edge causes an error when I try the same strategy. The tutorial was for fusion and on fusion 360 they have a cut feature that does this automatically with an offset parameter only; no need for offseting a surface to select. Thanks.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

To get rid of the error, try rounding off the edge between the cylindrical and conical faces as shown highlighted below. I was able to project on to the surface even without the round once, but could not repeat ever after that one instance.

RoundProj.png

Hi @CADCAM16

but You know, that You also can create this "offset" protrusion in one single step within the smart ribbon options of protrusion.

With using the option from/to for extend there You simply can enter an offset value too.

There is no need for an extra offset surface to get this.

regards
Wolfgang

Pioneer
Pioneer

Still can't get this to work either by an offset surface or an offset input.

I get "The tool does not intersect with the to extent"

"The specific corrective action is unknown. Redfine inputs and try again"

Simply offset plane to OD of where part solid starts, created the sketch, and then tried to cut it and get this error.