How to replicate this part?

So, I have this part that has a helix that that blends seamlessly into the flats. I wish to recreate this part In SE. I would like to make it sheet metal and flatten it but I am not holding my breath on that one.

16 REPLIES

Re: How to replicate this part?

hmmm...not sure. I tried to do it firstly with surfacing and lofts, got the shape but couldn't get it to transform into sheet metal. Tried to use a lofted flange but could'nt add to it. I've seen this before and most places just have a flat piece and account for the amount when twisted.

[ Edited ]

I have tried various methods to form this part as well. However, I cannot get the helix to be quite as flush and continous as this part is with its flats. Were you able to? If so, how?

No, unfortunately....Was the part made in another program and was able to flatten?

I think it was made in NX.

I don't know how it was made or if it could be flattend in NX.

[ Edited ]

I would use ordered mode to make a lofted flange, two rectangles rotated 90 deg to one another. Wouldn't that do it for you?

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

I have tried that and using sweep with multiple paths. I kind of get what I want but it still looks kind of odd.

When you do a lofted flange, you can achieve a twist...but nothing more. The picture shows that it creates an odd edge and SM features cannot be added. You also cannot add any profile guides to a lofted flange.

Picture is a top view

I did use a Bluesurf to obtain something similar to the request.