How to save as new name?

I feel like I have to be asking a very stupid question but I have spent about 10 min trying to figure out how to do this with no luck.

Lets say I am designing piston-rev1.par and now want to use that design as my basis for rev2.

In other programs I would go up to save as and choose to save it under piston-rev2.par. Now I am editing piston-rev2 and saving under that name.

In SE I cannot figure out how to do this. Under save as there are no options to save it as a SE native document or save it under the same format under a different name.

5 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: How to save as new name?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Yes you can do this....just click the "Save As" part of the left column, then rename as you wish.

SE_SaveAs.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Where yours says save as mine says save copy as and only gives me options to save it as an image or translated.

Is it because I am still using the trial version or is this something to change in settings or something like that?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you by chance, working in the context of an assembly? [right clicking on a assembly part and choosing either EDIT or OPEN gives different outcomes....see videos below....]

http://screencast.com/t/jrtn2xCp9 

http://screencast.com/t/DL1eYD9dnx

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

If you are under ST5 or ST6

You can as well use the replace with copy

replacecopy.png

Has mention by Sean when you edit a file in the context of an assembly you can either save as ( which will replace the active file by the new one)

Or save as copy to create a copy, you will need to do the replace manually

saveascopy.png

Legend
Legend

If you open a file from an assembly in its own window it won't give you the option to do a save as. You can do the save as if you are editing in context (where it will change every instance in the assembly), or you can do a "replace with copy". This is the best option if you only want to replace a few of the parts because you can choose which ones to replace.

Using SE since V12, 2002