How to scale a part

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, I am trying to scale down a part that has very complex features and would prefer to scale down instead of redrawing the entire part. Any idea on how to do this? Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: How to scale a part

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @EbieTubbs,

One method would be to open a new blank PAR file, then use "Insert Part Copy" to bring in your part.....

Capture_28102016-0827.PNG

Then, on the "Parameters" dialogue, adjust the scale factor [obviously, an integer less than 1 to make it smaller] to suit.....near the bottom. [don't use the "Shrink Factor"....that makes a part bigger - allowing for thermal contraction, when plastic molded, etc]

Capture_28102016-0830.png

Then save your file accordingly.......you can also un-check the "Link to File" option, if you want a completely bespoke model, that doesn't update if the parent model was to change.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Creator
Creator

It was announced at SEU2016 that a scaling function will be availbale in ST10 without the need to create a new part.

Not that his helps you now.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

That should be interesting. I wonder how that will work with sheet metal parts assigned to a gage.

Builder
Builder

Scott_R wrote:

It was announced at SEU2016 that a scaling function will be availbale in ST10 without the need to create a new part.

Not that his helps you now.

That's awesome!  I sure hope it's feature based and works similar to something like a pattern feature.

Creator
Creator

Great point.  They didn't specifically address Sheet Metal.  It may only be available in the Part environment.

It is a welcome addition for us because we make scale models and we typically make a "dead" part that only exists to be able to scale our customers geometry to the correct size.