How to select edges of profile in frames

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi guys,

someone can explain me how to select edges of a profile in a structure frames? 

These are my condition in the enviroment:

- Components: active

- PEERS: active

- Silhouette edges: active

See the image attached:

I know the feature about end conditions of profile allows the extension or cut of it, but I'd like to make a test and I would like the end of the line of the sketch, corresponds to the edge of the profile.

10 REPLIES

Betreff: How to select edges of profile in frames

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

depending on how You wanted to use the edge curve of the frame there are different methods to do.

During the creation of the line You can use the edges as well as any existing sketch curve.

When using the "relation" command "connect" (point connect) You directly can select this frame component (if peers are on)

If You like to trim the line then You first have to project the edge of the frame into the sketch

No issue here

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It's 3 steps just to get the frame design started. Tool/frame....frame....then ok to dialog (if you have not set to auto). Then you get a folder button in the frame menu. the folder button is what you use to pick the desired shape.

After you have a frame, and say you want to change it, I get to it by opening the handle point selection.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you...see the attached image.

I can't connect the end point of the line sketch to the edge of tre profile (green).

I have activeted the frame before start to draw the sketch...what's wrong?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Your piocture gave me some hints what it could be.

First I have seen that You use an assembly copy - OK, that it wasn't the reason.

Then I have seen that You have a weldment assembly - OK, wasn't either

Then there seems to many interpart links and relations (suppose that is the reason for the cain symbols in pathfinder)

And those interparts maybe could be reason for the non selectable geometry.

Could it be, that this might result in a circular relation from part to prart to part and back?

Is it possible to get edges from a brand new part without any interpart relations?

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

My guess is that you don't have peers turned on.

That or you did an assembly feature to edit the frame member. Assembly features on frame members are not the nicest things to work with. I often resort to replacing frame member with a part made from the frame section because I need trims on the frame members the frame design does not do, I find it easier to display the parts in draft that way as well.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,
@12GAGE

but his picture shows the peers tunred ON.

So this might notbe the reason.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

I don't think you can connect the path to a frame member - that would create a circular relationship - path drives frame drives path.

You have to connect the 45° line to the vertical path line. If you then create the angled frame it should trim to the vertical.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

- yes, I confirm that peers ACTIVATED

- I confirm that its possible select a edge of another part but isn't possible select a edge of a profile in frame enviroment.

So, it's still strange that this operation creates a circular conflict...In Solidworks it's possible and so I think too in Solidedge, but Solid edge have a hierarchy of edge selection different.

Phenom
Phenom

Just tried this and it is possible.

You can connect a line to edges of another frame - even if the frame is in a lower level assembly.

You can also trim the end of the frame to the ends of the lower level frame components - as in the diagonal frame member below.

Asm5.jpg

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.