How to setup gmail as the default email client for solidedge

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Folks, this is my first post in the forum. I'm new to solidedge but not to CAD, been using various systems since 1984. I've moved to SolidEdge recently and have just upgraded to ST8.

The problem is inconsistent crashes, and its been very difficult to locate the reason. Its perfectly fine when SiemensPLM requests for the information to be sent by email, but its not fine to force users to use outlook as the default mail client. I can't find ways to change that within solidedge. Outlook has been removed from my computer since apart from it being too intrusive its also a memory hog at least for what we do.

So two things:

1. How can I setup gmail or yahoo-mail or any other my-user-mail-client, as the default email client that can enable me to send the crash reports to SiemensPLM.

2. Can SiemensPLM also be kind enough to pop-up the most likely cause of crash based on simple analysis in addition to the pane that suggests that data will be sent out to them? That will be immensely helpful for us.

Thank you

N

Best regards,
Naresh
8 REPLIES

Re: How to setup gmail as the default email client for solidedge

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there, and welcome,

What OS are you running?......AFAIK you can allocate your default mail client through Windows user settings.

Of course you don't have to send them the automatic way. You just need to locate the relevant log files and send yourself.

These files contain  (open one of them, and see what they contain, it's not your average read like a Sunday morning newspaper) system & software information, critical to the crash event....this has to be analyzed to determine anything, and there is a procedure to go through  with your reseller (VAR) to get more consise action.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Sean,

Thanks for your feedback and your welcome. On the current system I'm using it on Windows7. 

I already have gmail via chrome listed as the default email app. If you suggest sending the error logs to my VAR I'll do that shortly. I thought that the ST8 was going to directly send the logs to Siemens... and I'll get a fast response.... ;-)

Naresh

Best regards,
Naresh

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@nashero

I've been sending those crash logs via automatic email for years and I've never seen any evidence that they result in any action. Not to say they never do, I've just never seen any.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

@bshand

What email agent do you use for sending mails on your system and what is the standard setup email agent for your windows environment?

Thanks

Best regards,
Naresh

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@nashero - Just Outlook so I've never tried to use a different client.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

@bshand

The point of the matter is making the automatic emailing work with gmail client such as the one built into chrome or as an app in firefox or even in windows exploder.

I don't use, and have no intention of using outlook on my system. I have already emailto: callout setup to spawn chrome with gmail in it. It works well with <b>all</b> the other windows based s/w I use, except with solidedge. It appears that solidedge has some internal hardwiring wherein it does the callout to outlook rather than a standard callout to emailto: Maybe there's a way to fix it and thus my question was to those solidedge sages who have investigated and resolved the issue to chime in.

Thanks

Best regards,
Naresh

Pioneer
Pioneer

BTW, the suggestion by @shawn was excellent. I did send the error log of one other issue I had to the VAR and I got a call today... they've already forwarded it to tech support at Siemens.

But I did it all manually. The files are located in c:\users\uid\AppData\Temp ...

Thanks Shawn.

Best regards,
Naresh

Pioneer
Pioneer

Bump!

Anyone out there with a solution?

Best regards,
Naresh