How to spot a real Solid Edge user

Phenom
Phenom

• Real Solid Edge users - Have been doing SE for 6 or more years.

• Real Solid Edge users - Do not use ERA - they have either upgraded to ST7 or purchased their own trial/licensed copy of Keyshot.

• Real Solid Edge users - Are still using Ordered and contemplating a serious switch to ST with their 'next' project.

• Real Solid Edge users - Have not taken up surfacing - they are waiting for synchronous technology to come to surfacing.

• Real Solid Edge users - Don't use the ribbon or radial menu that comes with SE, they created NEW ones.

• Real Solid Edge users - Use dual monitors.

• Real Solid Edge users - Have a graphics card that supports two monitors.

• Real Solid Edge users - Have switched to the Classic background color for a while and then back to the Default.

• Real Solid Edge users - Have created an account on this community forum.

• Real Solid Edge users - Don't really bother to login to the forum.

• Real Solid Edge users - Could answer most of those questions on the forum but they are not logged in.

• Real Solid Edge users - Don't use SE on Windows XP.

• Real Solid Edge users - Don't have friends that run SE on WinXp.

• Real Solid Edge users - Despise XP.

• Real Solid Edge users - Admit they have used SE sometime in the past to sketch:
- a pie chart.
- a stick figure or doodle.
- a flow diagram.
- quick route map for a colleague to that cool pub they visited over the weekend.

• Real Solid Edge users - Will admit that when they first started using Synchronous Technology their 'fun' model, sucked.

• Real Solid Edge users - Would be damm lucky if they got the system they have at work, for their home.

• Real Solid Edge users - Will always complain that SE on their system is slow.

• Real Solid Edge users - Store a feature in the library even if they will only use it once.

• Real Solid Edge users - Can use their Surface Pro and watch TV at the same time.

• Real Solid Edge users - Prefer the Classic version of SE over Foundation solely because of 'Insight'.

• Real Solid Edge users - Have a sticky note taped to their monitor with a table of 1/16" increments and their decimal equivalents.

• Real Solid Edge users - Never need to look at any of the sticky notes taped to their monitor.

• Real Solid Edge users - Don't bother to use the loads of ribbons on the screen.They use their own keyboard shortcuts!

• Real Solid Edge users - Can tweet and use ST at the same time.

• Real Solid Edge users - Can Alt-Tab between SE and Twitter to appear busy.

• Real Solid Edge users - Auto-hide their taskbar so management can't see how many non-CAD programs are open.

• Real Solid Edge users - Have figured out that the Quick View Cube can be actually quicker than using Ctrl keys for standard views.

• Real Solid Edge users - Run the recognize holes on hole features and wonder why it doesn’t recognize the holes.

• Real Solid Edge users - Never use Clean Sketch - they always believe overlapping lines can be found by using the Windows Magnifier.

• Real Solid Edge users - Never use Properties Text button in the Callouts dialog - they have memorised all property codes.

• Real Solid Edge users - Have created PDFs from Drafts just to check how their drawings look like on paper.
Are you a 'Real' Solid Edge user ? Confess your silliest Solid Edge moments here !!

10 REPLIES

Re: How to spot a real Solid Edge user

Phenom
Phenom

Real Solid Edge Users:

-Wonder who actually uses layers anymore

-Have accepted that sketch field tab orders will never be fixed and they will constantly place the wrong sized circle.

-Use AMD graphics cards for kindling

-Are constantly annoyed that the separate .cfg files exist.

-Have hit 'Save' instead of 'Undo' on the Quick Access Bar and ruined their morning more times than they can count, but still refuse to change the bar layout because it would take too much time.

-Have memorized the line "No, we have Solid EDGE. It's like the baby brother to NX"

-Don't know how good they have it with sheet metal and drafting until they use another program.

-Wonder what 'rebuild' times are

-Would rather set their desk on fire than edit cross sections of a swept protrusion

• Real Solid Edge users - Admit they have used SE sometime in the past to sketch:
- a pie chart.
- a stick figure or doodle.
- a flow diagram.
- quick route map for a colleague to that cool pub they visited over the weekend.

I had a chuckle at this. I came into a company where the owner was using Mastercam 8.1 (circa 2000) up until I started. He had taught himself how to use a computer, and had no idea how to use Microsoft Word or Excel. So, when he had to make costing spreadsheets, inventory tables, etc... he would draw an 8.5x11" box, DRAW A TABLE in Mastercam, DRAW THE CHARACTERS, and then copy in the character geometry to 'type' what he wanted! 

-Dylan Gondyke

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Dang! Do I have to use Twitter?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Builder
Builder

"I had a chuckle at this. I came into a company where the owner was using Mastercam 8.1 (circa 2000) up until I started. He had taught himself how to use a computer, and had no idea how to use Microsoft Word or Excel. So, when he had to make costing spreadsheets, inventory tables, etc... he would draw an 8.5x11" box, DRAW A TABLE in Mastercam, DRAW THE CHARACTERS, and then copy in the character geometry to 'type' what he wanted!

-Dylan Gondyke"

Now thats a Real Mastercam user!

Phenom
Phenom

• Real Solid Edge users - Admit they have used SE sometime in the past to model:
- their new bathroom layout

- their new kitchen layout

- their whole house !!!!.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

so, if I had modelled not only my house but also every table, desk, chair, even computer an dnotebook, 

does this mean "I am a real Solid Edge user?" Smiley Wink

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

That's right Wolfgang.

A Real SE user would always resort to using Solid Edge for even those things that Solid Edge is not supposed to be used with, because the real user has mastery over SE, loves it, likes it and feels comfortable with only Solid Edge when such non-SE tasks come up. That is the theme of the post.

In olden days we used AutoCAD for such tasks and even today some people fire-up MS Paint or simply PaintBrush for illustrating their ideas or to scribble something quickly due to their comfort level with those softwares, just like MasterCAM in case of Dylan's old boss.

Sharing your own or some one else's silliest Solid Edge experiences is the theme of this post.

In my case, when I read about the Hole recognition command when it first came to SE, I read it in a hurry without reading it entirely.

As a programmer, I had written hole recognition programs for cost calculation, machining estimates, etc. several times in the past using programming. Those programs simply went through all features and figured out which were hole feature, extracting their types and sizes, etc.

When I heard about this new feature, I hastily run the command on a model with several holes expecting to either see them all highlighted or selected in the model or the tree, so that I can suppress them at once or something similar.

I hastily misinterpreted the meaning of 'recognition' and that was my silliest moment. Those magnifier users and PDF creators, other waiting to switch to ST, sticky notes and Twitter users - are all funny but real instances. It's sort of self-sarcasm and anyone who feels frank enough and interested can share such here.

~Tushar

Phenom
Phenom

I'me only a fake SE user. I still use (and love) AutoCAD. 

But I'me a real draftsman! I don't have one single drawing of my house. Man Tongue

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

...has long since lost the ability to manipulate the view with a mouse and keyboard in leu of a 3D spacepilot.  Trying to "show" somebody how to do something at a station that doesn't have one, borders on comedy.

Russ

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"3D spacepilot"

I unplug it or just ignore it if it's there. I prefer the keyboard and mouse.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200