Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell Solid Edge to rmember the window size and position

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edgers,

what is very annoying with ST10 is, that everytime I open the Options window, it always come back in the default size at the center of the screen.

How can I tell Solid Edge to remmeber my wnated size and positioin for this window.

Normally these settings was written into the user registry, so that after positiong the window once it always opend there in the correct size.

With ST10 it seems that SE has lost this behaviour or setting.

Has anybody any ideo to bring it back to the old behaviour?

regards
Wolfgang
15 REPLIES 15

Re: How to tell Solid Edge to rmember the window size and position

@hawcad,

Have you tried a new user profile?.....maybe there is something in the %Temp% file that is corrupted and needs restoring.

NZ$0.02  Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

What is your desktop topology? How many monitors and if you have more than one, what is the display configuration? Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution or right-click the desktop and select "Screen Resolution".

I have three and when the screen resolution comes up I see:

2                1              3

"1" is the primary monitor.

And if you do have more than 1, does it matter which monitor Solid Edge is on and which monitor the settings dialog is on? I ask because there is code that tries to detect when a saved position for a dialog is now "off the desktop". If a dialog appears to be off screen, the default position will be used. Centered on the app frame is the default position for just about every modal dialog. Usually that code kicks in when someone has a laptop plugged into a backplane with one or more desktop monitors in use. Position is saved for the big desktop monitor and later the user is disconnected and runs the dialog code and ... "Where the heck is my dialog?" It is playing hide and seek. If you are good with the keyboard you can use alt+space+m to invoke the move command. Then just move the dialog using the left or right arrow key until it comes on screen OR just move the mouse and the OS will lock the center of the dialog caption area to the mouse making it easy to bring it back into view.

But some code is fooled by odd monitor layouts. It might work with a "1"  "2"  "3" layout but perhaps not with "2"  "1"   "3" if the dialog is on "2". That's because the desktop coordinates of (0,0) are setup for the main "1" monitor. So "2" can have negative coordinates and some code just freaks out and thinks you are off screen when you really are not. So it ignores the saved entries.

Also, as Sean(?) mentioned, the user profile can interfere. If the registry is locked down, the position isn't saved and the dialog thinks each time it is displayed it is the first time ever. That's easy to test though. Just move another dialog that isn't so easily fooled. So, for example, try the "AddIn Manager" dialog. Move it to where you expected the settgings dialog to display. Then close it and run the command again. Where does it display? If it has a faulty memory, there is probably a system wide issue.

Besides the location of each monitor on the desktop, the location of the task bar can also be a factor. It can be located on the top, left, right or bottom of a monitor (the primary "1", that is). And if not locked (right-click - lock command), you can size it's height/width. So one can effectively save a dialog position, say near the bottom of the screen and then later drag the size of the task bar up so that it covers where the top of the dialog was and then when the dialog displays, it can be off screen. Using saved values can mean the dialog comes up on screen but off what Windows calls the working area of the desktop. Edge tries to make sure enough of a dialog is in the working area so you can grab it and move it rather than to just ignore the saved position.

The good news is that if you have found a dialog that suffers from desktop topology disorder syndrome, that can be fixed.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I am seeing the same kind of stuff in ST9. My suspect is that the file is being opened on a computer with a different resolution monitor than it was on it's previus save. It could also be that the primary monitor has switched position (Left/Right).

I think i's how SE deals with those problems to allow you see it window at all.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@hawcad  I just tested this on my three monitor setup and ST10 is remembering the Options dialog's previous settings so it appears to be something more specific to your configuration.  

Highlighted

Hi @uk_dave

I have the same issue with different computers, dual screen or single monitor.

All have Win 10  64 with current service packs.

I have seen this behaviour for different users and as said on differnet computers.

So question might be: "Is it  a Win 10 issue?"

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom

@hawcad I just double-checked this on Windows 10 and it is still working as expected.

Are you copying/sharing Solid Edge user preferences across machines?

Siemens Phenom

I just got it to reproduce it -- it appears to be dependent on where the Options window was last positioned and what Options were available in the list when the position was saved.  If I then change Solid Edge environment and then reopen Options, because there are more options available, the Options dialog then resets itself back to the default size and position.

I need to play with it more just to fully understand the workflow but this appears to be the issue.

Siemens Phenom

@hawcad if you want to PM your sold-to id I can get the IR/PR submitted for you.

Siemens Phenom

Okay, this appears to be what @RDH is calling "desktop topology disorder syndrome". If I get any edge of the Options window too close to the edge of the monitor display, the Options window will reset back to its default size and position. PR 8352425 has now been submitted for this.