Hi @uk_dave

thanks for clarify and logging

regards
Wolfgang

Re: How to tell Solid Edge to rmember the window size and position

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi uk_dave,

Thanks for all the testing. I have duplicated the issue with the options dialog and see what the problem is. I also see a number of other dialogs will suffer from this too. Problem will be worse if you have multiple monitors that have different sizes and/or orientations as there are "dead zones" in the virtual desktop and any dialog that checks if it is inside the  virtual desktop rect can be fooled if it is in part of the rectangle for which there is no actual display device.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RDH and

Hi @uk_dave

it seems to have absouteley to do with the position of the window (optuons or whatever one) You use.

And my personyl favorite is to use Win + "arrow left" to have the options window half of the screen on the left side.

And this "on the left side" seems to be exactly the point.

I tried it today (on a single monitor computer) to resize the window narrow to the left side anbd nearly with the full height (but not exact and not using the full height) and this position keeps saved and used the next time.

It really has to do with this "... on the left side"

Thanks for initiating the IR

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi to all,

I just wanted to verify the behaviour on the office computer with 2 screen side by side, where I used to have SE on the right screen and the options form on the left side of this right screen.

And - surprise - the position and size is saved and used as it should be.

But now I know, the left side of the right screen is not the zero of the desktop, so I suppose this to be the reason why it works and why it doesn't work with the single monitor computers.

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Genius

I was able to duplicate it by moving the settings dialog such that the dialog rectangle is not fully contained in the virtual desktop rectangle. I can use alt-space, M to invoke the "Move" command and move the cursor around so it doesn't lock to the center of the dialog caption area when using the arrows to move. The OS seems a bit flakey though. Sometimes the OS bounces the dialog back on screen and sometimes not. Once positioned, one can hit "return" to cancel the move and escape to close the dialog. The OS does try to keep part of a dialog on screen and that can be frustrating sometimes when trying to defeat that OS behavior.

But I found a good one using the keyboard. I found a resizing dialog (Addin Manager) and streched it out and then moved it off to the right side of the desktop so it was mostly off-screen. Then I did alt-space, S. That starts the sizing command. Then you press once on the left arrow and the cursor locks to the left side of the dialog. Then I used the right arrow to make the box narrower (only resizes from the left - the right side is held fixed). As I held down the left arrow, the OS lets the size command reisze the dialog right off screen. Then hit return to stop the sizing command and hit escape to close the dialog. She be gone. But the Addin Manager dialog is smarter than the options dialog (or was until just a little while ago) so when I ran Addin Manager again, it pops up in the middle of the app window(default position).

Unlike the code used by the settings (and other dialogs like file open) The code used by the Addin Manager lets you keep a dialog only partially on screen. But it does try to make sure you see enough of the dialog to find it and to be able to resize/move it. You get about 3 pixels, which is about as close as one can get using the OS to move the window off screen. I do wonder if 3 is too small. But if you don't see the dialog due to lots of clutter or looking at the wrong monitor for it, you can always do the alt-space, M to start the move command and use the arrows to bring it your way (I use the one arrow press and then move the mouse and the OS will jump the dialog to the mouse). When I forget the key sequence, I find some app dialog (in another app if need be) and click the system icon that shows the context menu and the OS shows you which commands can be invoked by which keys by underlining the char that starts the command).

Siemens Genius

PR 8352425 is now fixed. The settings dialog and a number of others (e.g., file open) had the same issue.