How to transfer parts from one assembly to another, but leave a copy?

Working with a large reference assembly and would like to selectively but in large groups transfer parts from one or a couple assemblies to develop a more organized tree structure. Transfer does this and it's easy and flawless, and I can even leave the parts in their same coordinates, but it physically moves them out of the assembly. I would like to keep the reference in-tact, in other words, copy these parts out rather than transfer them. Is there a way in SE to do this? I know you can save-copy but that is part by part and tedious to re-insert them. In this example I'm talking about thousands of parts, so the transfer feature is very practical for doing this in short order.

The only thing I could think of was just having an entirely untouched copy of the reference assembly there in the background, but I was hoping there was a cleaner way to copy things around. Thanks!

3 REPLIES

Betreff: How to transfer parts from one assembly to another, but leave a copy?

Hi,

would the Insert Assembly Copy feature be a solution.

This works similar to the Insert Part Copy in parts, gives an associate copy of the original, create an assembly group and can be modified.

At the moment I'm not on a SE computer, so I can not add a picture but look in the left area of the multitab where this feature button normaly is.

I will try to get s SE computer later.

regards
Wolfgang

Re: How to transfer parts from one assembly to another, but leave a copy?

Seems like you'd have to do it in two steps minimum. Design manager to copy the assemblies/parts, then transfer to locate them in the assy structure. Then possibly delete the copied assemblies/parts that weren't needed depending on how it was done and what you wanted.

Seems like transfer/copy might be a cool feature that could be added to design manager one day.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP6 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: How to transfer parts from one assembly to another, but leave a copy?

Hi,

We've already discussed about this:

solutions

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/