Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to twist a sheetmetal part?

Legend
Legend

Okay, I'm running into dead ends trying to make a sheet metal part that follows a curve, and twists just a few degrees. I've tried switching to part (where it is now), and no luck there either. I've started with my curve I want to follow, tried using sketches, thought that would be the key to make it work.

Suggestions? I'm using ST9 MP8 at the moment.

15 REPLIES

Re: How to twist a sheetmetal part?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Trikefreak,

This will not be a "typical" sheetmetal model, as it has double curvature......so I would suggest modelling it as a surface, then thicken it. Although, you will need to use blank body to get a flat pattern from it, due to the form.

TWISTED - Copy.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Legend
Legend
Ahh, that's how I do my boat sides, I will see if I can do it that way. I switch to Part, make surface, switch back to Sheet metal, and allows me to model as parts are sort of "hand formed".

Thanks!

Legend
Legend

Grrr, this doesn't work like my other parts that each end is parallel, and along a curve. I'm missing how I get this to work. Suggestions?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Trikefreak,

My quick & dirty version of it.........sketches > bounded surface > thicken > flatten.

ST10_PSM_TwistedSheetMetal-A.png

ST10_PSM_TwistedSheetMetal-B.png

ST10_PSM_TwistedSheetMetal-C.png

ST10_PSM_TwistedSheetMetal-D.png

ST10_PSM_TwistedSheetMetal-E.png

ST10_PSM_TwistedSheetMetal-F.png

ST10_PSM_TwistedSheetMetal-G.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

@Trikefreak Use the lofted flange between two curves - will allow you to do twisted sheet metal directly. The other option is to make a bluesurf and thicken.

Legend
Legend

I played with it a bit this morning. I was able to get something, be it right or wrong.

I started with the center arc that I wanted, and then a line at each end centered on that arc, at different angles. I then did 3D sketch of an arc to each end of the lines, and made it equal radius to the original arc. It might be close enough for what I need, seeing how I have to then cut it to a curved width that fits in the bow of the boat. I'll mess around with it some more this evening.

I didn't think lofted would work, if both ends weren't parallel to each other? I need a "part" that is rolled in an arc, and twists from one end to the other.

Phenom
Phenom

@Trikefreak Not sure exactly what you're doing, but there's no reason you can't lofted flange between two non-parallel lines or line segments

twist.PNG

Legend
Legend
WOW, I'm def doing something wrong! Thanks for the visual, I'll have to try a different approach....

So, I can create a loft along a curve as well, with each end not parallel to each other?

Phenom
Phenom

yea we quite often loft between a semicircle and 3 sides of a rectangle to create a "square to round" as we call it. 

You have the option to leave it as a twist in the sheet metal, or in the lofted flange properties you can specify that the twist is e.g. 5 step folds and it will give you the fold lines to step fold on press brake.

Just a word of warning, the lofted flange feature can be tempermental if your using a relativly thick plate for a given twist, or twisting a lot over a short distance!