How to update sync mirror when original hole 'feature' has holes added

Genius
Genius

I have a 'feature' of two holes in a sheetmetal part. I mirror those, all good. I decide that I want a third hole in the original feature, and I do this using the "more holes" option within first hole feature. All good. 

How do I get the mirror to update to include the third hole?

Yes I can delete the mirror and mirror all three holes again, but I don't want to do that.

Yes I can just add a second mirror feature but I don't want to do that.

Yes I can just go and manually add a hole but I don't want to do that.

Is it possible?

25 REPLIES

Re: How to update sync mirror when original hole 'feature' has holes added

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @pmckay,

Not really the way Sync is supposed to work though, is it?.......doesn't it it drive off the topology, not the feature tree.

IMHO, for your case, I would probably "Break" the mirror, and let design intent pick it up.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom
I recall hitting this once before. I think it may be an issue with holes being a "procedural feature".

Genius
Genius
I agree Sean, and if it 'purely' followed one way or the other then I would have less confusion. When the hole 'feature' allows you to add holes though, it makes me think that other so called 'features' have other ways of updating or having their history changed.

Break is a good option to 'clean up' the feature tree.

Thanks,

Peter.

Genius
Genius
Ryan, yes, as I mentioned in my reply to Sean, some features have some history or parameters you can edit, but others don't. I suppose procedural features are a good indicator of this. I understand why, but it can be confusing if you're trying to nut out what is possible and what isn't.

Peter.

Legend
Legend

I gave up on synch mirror. If it was truly going to be a synch function it would evaporate and leave just the new features. Or it would be updateable, but it is nether. I just switch to ordered if I want to have a real mirror.

Using SE since V12, 2002

Betreff: How to update sync mirror when original hole 'feature' has holes added

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @pmckay

of course Sync is thinking a little bit different.

But the question is: "Is it necessary to think as mirrored in the classic way?"

Since You says that there is a "mirror" feature in Your pathfinder I suppose You have pressed the "Persist Mirror Associativity".

This - for me - is more or less a persistent relation on the fly!

20170428_1806.PNG

I personally prefer the non persistent method by unselect thos button.

What is the difference?

Solid Edge Sync then creates additional holes within the same hole feature, and yes the are symmetric due to the live rules, or better to say due to the "Design Intend"

20170428_1812.PNG

Where will I see the advantage doing so?

The hole feature still is a single hole feature, only with the double of numbers of holes in it.

If You later need an additional hole no problem, and You can mirror this one again without any problem.

You even can delete the original hole without destroying the mirrored one.

And - and this IMHO is the most important AND - due to it is a single hole feature YOu can use it for a pattern in an assembly.

Take this in a consideration wether it might help.

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This way of working makes me want to use Sync more. When I do a mirror, I want that as only a starting point, then the two parts evolve on it's own path. Nice to know that about Sync.

Genius
Genius
Wolfgang, insightful reply as usual thank you.

Put another way, what is the point of the "Persist Mirror Associativity" option? From what I can see it achieves nothing that a Symmetry Face Relate would not, except that it is a group of multiple Symmetry Face Relates, all in one "feature'. For me it would be more intuitive if there was a 'group relationship' in the relationship section of Path Finder. As far as I know, Face relates are for single features only, not multiples, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

It also achieves nothing that the Design Intent symmetry would not pick up automatically and keep things symmetrical. As long as that option is turned on of course.

-Once you know this stuff, you can work with it, but these inconsistent approaches are all barriers to learning.
-For me, using hole features to drive assembly patterns is critical. Fasteners....
-Putting holes in later in ordered is tempting, but one of the BIGGEST advantages in Sync to me is how I can align holes in multiple parts at the assembly level but WITHOUT creating associativity through inter -part copy which is very unreliable and pretty well breaks all the time. So for me, holes really need to be in Sync.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @pmckay

Your question sounds rational and understandable.

What is the reason for a persistent mirror?

I for myself have found one reason to use it at all

I use it if the mirror plane is NOT one of the major reference planes and so Live Rules will not recognize them by default.

There is an advanced live rule (Design Intend) You can activate but AFAIK this is to be set always again while the persistent mirror will keep this relation automatically.

Maybe there are other goot reasons which will recommend a persistent mirror, but this one for me is enough to be happy about this feature.

regards
Wolfgang