Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to update sync mirror when original hole 'feature' has holes added

Genius
Genius
That's a good way to keep Csys centred Wolfgang, I didn't know that method.

Here's a summary of what I see, let me know if you think any of it is wrong:

SYNC MIRROR FEATURE WITH PERSISTENT OPTION ON
-Once the Sync Mirror feature is created with the Persistent option on, there is NO WAY to add additional features to the mirror
-The plane used to define symmetry has no further connection to the Mirror feature after the Mirror feature is created. The original plane can move or be deleted and nothing changes with the parent or child features in the Persistent Mirror. The plane for mirror symmetry instantly becomes a virtual plane that cannot be seen or edited
-The only way to move the virtual symmetry plane is to move all features involved - parent and children
-It is not possible to make the Persistent Mirror remain symmetrical to part geometry that is not centred on base planes, as that part geometry changes/moves
-If you want the mirror to remain symmetrical to part geometry that is not centred around the base Csys planes, then either do not select the PERSISTENT option when creating the feature, or, BREAK the Mirror feature and control the individual holes/features/faces in other ways using dimensions or Face Relate Relationships.

Genius
Genius

Is the Help file WRONG...?

"A non-associative mirror has no lock icon"

That is not what I see. If I choose to have a non-associative mirror, there is NO MIRROR icon at all if you are mirroring a hole. It just adds the new mirrored features to the original. I'm assuming this is because it is a 'Procedural Feature' and not just a face. The icon DOES show up without a lock symbol if just mirroring a face.

If I am correct, can we please have the help file be written to tell the truth? It's hard enough to learn this stuff without the help file pointing is in the WRONG DIRECTION.....

Sync Mirror Help.PNG

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @pmckay

I can't see this.

For me the behaviour seems to be exactly as mentioned in the hepp files

The "Lock" symbol is seen if the persistent button is pressed.

If You don't press the button then only the selected objects are mirrored about the given plane.

And the created feature only shows the mirror symbol

20170501_1029.PNG20170501_1028.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius
Try it with a hole feature @hawcad

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @pmckay

does work properly for me too.

If setting it to persistent, then I get the lock icon if not then it becomes another member of the holes collection

Just as it should be - IMHO

20170501_1046.PNG20170501_1046b.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius
I get the same result as you @hawcad, however, this result is NOT what is written in Help. For Help to be correct, it needs an additional explanation, along the lines of:

"If you are mirroring a Hole feature (and maybe others I have not found) then the Mirror will NOT appear (with or without a Lock Icon) and the new mirrored hole will be appear in the parent feature"

Unless I have missed something, then the Help file is incomplete, and therefore implies something that is not true. This is not acceptable.

I have read the Help file about the Sync Mirror feature and I have not found anywhere that describes what we have discussed/discovered in this thread. I will assume it does not exist, but welcome anyone pointing me to it if it does exist.

I know that Help files and other types of documentation take resources to keep up to date. However, if there is a particular feature in a piece of software, I think there should at least a simple description of how it works, and what it's limitations are, so people can actually learn about it, rather than being forced to go on a voyage of discovery for themselves. This is the whole point of education - passing on knowledge.

No doubt others could write it more eloquently and more accurately than me, but what I put in an earlier reply is what I think should be available in Help to those who want to work out how something works:

SYNC MIRROR FEATURE WITH PERSISTENT OPTION ON
-Once the Sync Mirror feature is created with the Persistent option on, there is NO WAY to add additional features to the mirror
-The plane used to define symmetry has no further connection to the Mirror feature after the Mirror feature is created. The original plane can move or be deleted and nothing changes with the parent or child features in the Persistent Mirror. The plane for mirror symmetry instantly becomes a virtual plane that cannot be seen or edited
-The only way to move the virtual symmetry plane is to move all features involved - parent and children
-It is not possible to make the Persistent Mirror remain symmetrical to part geometry that is not centred on base planes, as that part geometry changes/moves
-If you want the mirror to remain symmetrical to part geometry that is not centred around the base Csys planes, then either do not select the PERSISTENT option when creating the feature, or, BREAK the Mirror feature and control the individual holes/features/faces in other ways using dimensions or Face Relate Relationships.