Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to use a pattern of a part in assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello there

I'm using ST8, and I would like to pattern some nuts and bolts in assembly. I drew the pattern on the part which containes the holes, but I cannot select it. First I selected the parts I want to pattern then Solid Edge asks me to select the part which contains the pattern. After selecting the metal sheet ST8 says click on the pattern, but I cannot select it. I know I can draw a new pattern in the assembly, but I would rather use this method.

Thank you for your help

11 REPLIES

Re: How to use a pattern of a part in assembly

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

It would be great if you attach the file (assembly and part file)

Thanks

Phenom
Phenom

When you go to 'select the part that contains the pattern' , instead of selecting that part, hover over it and wait for the quick pick menu, then right click and select the sketch, not the part.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Experimenter
Experimenter

Of course, here you go.

So the wheel_plate contains a sketch with a pattern. I would like to copy the bolt, the washer and the nut along that sketch. I do not want to draw a new pattern in the assembly since I was not able to find a way to constrain the lines to a part or a feature like edges or holes.

I'm using ST8 with academic license.

Experimenter
Experimenter

It's not working Smiley Sad Even though the quick pick shows up, I can only choose between 2 parts.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Are the holes in the part patterned? If so, why is the pattern sketch showing?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter

No, the holes are not patterned. I simply cut out 4 circles. After that I made a new sketch with a pattern and in the assembly I made it visible by right clicking on the part and selecting show/hide component...

Hi there @keronflex,

OK, so because you used cutout to make these "bolt holes" in one go, is the main problem here.

As I see it, there are a few of options available to you....all of which require editing the part model.

• delete all but one of the cutout [circle] profiles, and use the pattern sketch you have made, to then pattern that with the pattern sketch.
  • delete the entire cutout, and using the hole command, place them a accordingly. [either all at once - or - using the pattern sketch]
  • reduce the size of the original cutout, and place required size "holes" over top of those.

Then when in assembly, the patterning of fasteners will find and populate all of the holes as expected- as hole command has this kind of intelligence built in.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP4] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Hi @keronflex

besides the fact that I in principal would use a hole feature to create those 4 holes - You have a single dimension (or parameter for all of them, You can add the chamfers dirctly without the need for an extra feature (or two) and You also have the pattern intgrated qith no need for creating another extra feature which never ever will be associative to Your coutout (what if You will need more than 4 holes, ans what if, it will not be at a regular base, etc.) -  You can use Your sketch for pattern the parts in the assembly.

Just use this sketch - nothing more

See video:

(view in My Videos)

Bute I would recommend to change it to holes anyway!

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter
What you did in this video is exactly what I would like to do. I made that patter just for this purpose. But somehow I'm unable to select that pattern. In the quick pick menu only the 2 parts shows up Smiley Sad