How to use member of family part in different assemblies?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have part with 3 member in family. I want use this part with different member in different assemblies. For example, If i have a.par with member 1,2,3 and i have assembly abc.asm & xyz.asm. I want to use member 1 in abc.asm & member 2 in xyz.asm. Please provide process or method.

3 REPLIES

Re: How to use member of family part in different assemblies?

Creator
Creator

I posed a similar question today but related to "alternate assemblies" using a populated member from "family of parts". You may have missed a step in your "family of parts" creation.

You need to "Populate Members" in the Family of Parts master to create separate part files for each.

With the populated members you can drop them into an assembly. This is also nice (atleast in ST8) since you can "replace part" and it brings up the "family of parts" list to choose alternatives first with th eoption to browse for other non-family members.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Manan wrote:

I have part with 3 member in family. I want use this part with different member in different assemblies. For example, If i have a.par with member 1,2,3 and i have assembly abc.asm & xyz.asm. I want to use member 1 in abc.asm & member 2 in xyz.asm. Please provide process or method.

In the assemblies abc and xyz select the assembly which will indicate which member it currently is and do a "replace part". The resulting dialog will give you the choice of the other 2 members.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

The key thing to remember when working with family of parts is that you never use your master part in an assembly. You must populate and use only the child files. Otherwise, changing the master file would impact every assembly you placed it into becasue it gets saved in whatever state you save it in.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC