How to work with ST8 files in ST7?

Legend
Legend

New situation came up today, have to figure out how to open ST8 files in ST7. Upgrading is being discussed, but it involves other customers upgrading at the same time, not a simple decision.

Looked at some exporting options, the .jt file retained some file property information, but no material when we open it back into ST7. I looked at the batch converter, it doesn't appear to convert solid edge sheetmetal files to another type.

Anyone tackled this issue with good results? We are looking at fairly large assemblies, and trying to make this happen with the least time involved.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
10 REPLIES

Re: How to work with ST8 files in ST7?

Phenom
Phenom

Have you considered to use ST8 just for this customer ?

Parasolid should be the exchange format that retain more informations; for example it retain the treaded holes. I don't know about material and other properties. For sure it is very fast to export and import from a realease to the other.

Francesco

Legend
Legend

That might be an option, setting up another desktop with ST8, but would require another $$$$$ for that license being used.

I tried exporting x_t files and they didn't retain file properties or materials. I think we also tried jt, iges, and step formats.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom

I don't know you license situations but while you use 1 license for ST8 you will not use it for ST7 so the total number of license it is the same.

For example we have 7 floating license, if 1 is busy for the ST8 there will be only 6 available for ST7, and after all the number of designers that use Solid Edge are always the same.

Also you could ask your IT to install a dual boot on the same workstation, so you will have one with ST7 and one with ST8. I would avoid to install ST7 and ST8 on the same boot.

Francesco

Legend
Legend

We have individual licenses, not floating. I'm probably wrong, but I think this would also rule out doing a dual boot, that user can only register one license. But, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, today.................

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Phenom
Phenom
Individual license means that every workstaion have a unique CID number, so if you can download the ST8 license with that CID you can use the same license both for ST7 and ST8 (licenses are backward compatible) in this way you can use ST7 or ST8 on the same workstation just by booting on the instal you need.

The risk to work both with ST7 and ST8 on the same network is to make a mistake and save files that must be used on ST7 with ST8 and make them no more readable in ST7.

So if you decide to do that you better clearly separate the ST8 archive from ST7 archive. Even better to make the ST7 files not accessible in the ST8 boot.

In my opinion, if you plan well your moves, work with ST8 would be much better than file conversion.

Genius
Genius
You can do a silent install so you get both versions loaded onto the same computer however it is not recommended to do it this way because it is unproven and you may run into some issues especially if people are not careful. The better way would be to setup a virtual machine and then you could use the same computer and when you need to use st8 just log into the virtual machine.

The only other option I can think of is to convert everything from st8 to a parasolid and bring it into st7 and use synchronous technology for all your editing however you will need to reestablish all your relationships for your mates in your assembly.
Brian Fritz
Solid Edge Certified Professional
ST10 latest MP

Legend
Legend

I think we are going to test this out, doing the silence install thingy. Our reseller sent me this information:

https://swooshtech.com/solid-edge-how-to-install-multiple-versions-of-solid-edge/

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When opening "newer" files in older versions, best is to save out as Parasolid.  As previously mentioned, you will lose some information and intelligence.  However,

• You can use ST to make edits to parts (individually or within the assembly)
  • You can use Assembly Relationship Assistant to help automate the re-establishment of assembly relationships/constraints
  • You can use some of the "recoginition" tools to help add intelligence to features like holes and hole patterns

As you run across specific scenarios, if you have questions on the "how-to", feel free to contact me direct if you want.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As long as you aren't working with managed data, that should work well for you.  Just have to run a utility to switch between versions when that is needed.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1