I'm thinking about changing from the student version to the commercial version of solid edge (V20)

Experimenter
Experimenter

The reason that I want to switch is that you cannot be a student forever.

Will I lose all the files I have or is there any way to use them again if I switched to a commercial version?

I really hope there is a way, because I have some projects I really put quite some time in and it would suck really hard if I lost them.

6 REPLIES

Re: I'm thinking about changing from the student version to the commercial version of solid edge (V2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Student version created files will not open in the commercial version.  You can save the geometry out as STEP, IGES, or PARASOLID and the drawings out as DXF to use in the commercial version.

I really have to ask why you are considering V20...?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Re: I'm thinking about changing from the student version to the commercial version of solid edge (V2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Sander,

While moving to the commercial version, & I applaude you for it, will mean no "direct" read in of your work, without neutral format translation, of both models & drawings alike.....however, there is nothing stopping you from continuing to use, or have a functioning Student Edition on another [cannot be  both on the same] computer, in order to reference, or make updates to, those files.

I also follow Ken in his questioning, of your V20 desire........SOOOOO much has improved since that version.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the answer. I know I'm reacting really late but I kinda forgot I asked the question over here. 

So it's good to know that by saving it to a different format than .prt, .asm ... you can open it in a commercial version.

The reason I use V20 is becouse my university provides that version. 

But if I go to a commercial version there is indeed no reason to stick with an older version. What version would you recommend?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

ST8 if immediate.  ST9 if you are willing to wait a week or two for the English version.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Experimenter
Experimenter
It can definitely wait. I would switch somewhere in the next few months or maybe even the next year. So ST9 it will be.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Sander -- great to have you as part of the Solid Edge family. Which university do you go to (that is using software that is 9 years out of date!)? I'd like to help them get up to date...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development