Solved! Go to solution

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to convert linear to angular dimensions

I have several prints of cylinders that I want to make.  They have features on them that I can lay out in an "unrolled" format in 2D, but I want to show at what angle a particular feature is in reference to the Datum.  Is there a way to do this through coordinate dimensioning?

6 REPLIES

Re: I'm wondering if there is an easy way to convert linear to angular dimensions

You might need to post a pic of what you are trying to do.  I'm not quite sure what you are asking...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Re: I'm wondering if there is an easy way to convert linear to angular dimensions

[ Edited ]

Imagine these pockets cut into a cylinder . they will be spaced at certain angular dimensions that I need to call out. I f you look on the left, you can see where I have taken a coordinate dimension, made it a "Blank" dimension, and then put a post script text message with it to call out the angle. I was hoping that I could figure out a way I tcould get Solid Edge to do it for me.Cylinder pattern.jpg

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author JFrost
‎06-29-2016 03:58 PM

I think I got it.  So you want the angular index of each row of features when they are rolled into a cyclinder to be displayed in the flat.  I'm not aware of any way to do that without creating a custom app to do it.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author JFrost
‎06-29-2016 03:58 PM

Thats exactly it.  I wasnt sure if I could tweek the settings or not.  Thanks for your help.

I don't have a good test case to try this myself, so it is purely theoretical.

USE A DIMENSION STYLE SCALE FACTOR.

1) Create a new dimension style based off your standard style.

2) In the General Tab of the New Dimension Style dialag, change the bottom radio button from Automatic to Manual.

3) Enter the scale factor.

While it would be really nice to have that value exist in the variable table so you could relate it to the cylinder diameter, I'm afraid it doesn't, so you'll have to do the math yourself.

Scale factor = 360 / (CylinderDia * PI)

Now when you place a linear dimension with that dimension style, the value will be in degrees.  Adjust the suffix to show the degree symbol and you're all set.

I agree with the last method. Just be glad it's not a cone where it would be a different scale factor for every elevation.